Can I legally hire a foreign student intern in USA?


I am not well-versed in hiring laws in the USA but can I legally hire and pay a foreign student who’s here studying in the USA?

I guess it would be an internship or as-needed freelance contracting.

Thanks for any advice.

I don’t want to be part of a nanny-gate situation. =)

I am not completely sure, but I think as long as they are legally in the country that should not be a problem.

As far as I know foreign students in the US are on an F-1 visa so you would have to search what that entitles them to.

you can, and they can be employed for a number of months following graduation. But after that, you have to sponsor them or they have to leave or get married.

you can as long as they get OPT or some other form of work/study permit (its not hard, he just has to go talk to his university international office) which you get a work permit card. Depending on the program you either need to get credit, or you only get it validated for a year of work (usually after college).

hope that helps.

So most cases are after they’re done with school and not during?

Many offer to work for free so they can put the expereince on their resumes but I’ve always felt a bit werid about having people do work for no pay.

If they are F-1 visa students that should be no problem as long as the work is related to the degree. If they are recent grads, they have the option to stay for a year of optional practical training (OPT) in the US. After a year you need to sponsor an H1B visa.