Can I be a good designer without drawing well

Sketching isn’t everything. Creativity is. If you managed to get into a design course then you probably have an above average level of creativity.

If you are creative, proactive and passionate about what you do, design or otherwise, you will succeed. Takes jobs for experience; stepping stones.

I by no means am a great renderer (I can hold perspective but that’s about it) but then again it is not sketching that got me where I am. My ideas, creativity and problem solving are.

Don’t give in to the elitist propaganda. If you want to be a designer, go be one.

BTW, every field is pretty much in the same situation as design. More qualified applicants than positions…just some have greater turn over rates.

Well, My opinion is , drawing a nice sketch does not only meaning a beautiful berief, but a real sense of graceful. If you already have good sennse of graceful, then flurent skeches helps improving it. It’s quite a classical topic about the necessary of traditional sketch :stuck_out_tongue: I do LOVE it ~ It’s cool when u can sketch in any pencil or even a ball pen ~~

Hi,

I still assure you; you can be a good designer without any special drawing skills. Any means of communicating good ideas is valid nowadays (it’s different in the automotive industry). Mobile phones are initially developed with Illustrator and Photoshop, furniture and lighting are initially developed with doodles and models. Tableware is often developed by models only. Check out how SonyEricsson products are developed, see how Magis or Artemide products are developed, etc. If you talk to your fellow designers at 100%Design in Tokyo, the Salone in Milan, at the CeBIT in Hanover - you’ll be surprised how little drawing and rendering (in the automotive sense) is going on there nowadays.

Many designers who are after relevant ideas have no time to make super-accurate perspective illustrations - they need the time for designing and communicating. Drawing very well can sometimes help you putting the ideas down faster - but it doesn’t help you at all getting ideas in the first place, which is what manufacturers need.

Development and Communication of your ideas are the most important skills/traits a designer can have. However from a client or employers standpoint how rapidly, and cost-effectively you can get these ideas conveyed is also on that list.

You are correct in you next post that very little “automotive” type sketching/rendering is in the fast paced development cycles, however this leaves more room for the quick loose ideation sketches up front.

Look at it from a clients stand point. As a first round design deliverable (2 weeks from design kickoff) would you want 50 thought out concept depicted in quick hand sketches with various support sketches as needed to illustrate the basic form, configuration, interface with user, and intended function. Or for the same amount of time 10-15 foam sketch models carved, sanded, and assembled.

Keep in mind I am not talking about designing dishes, t-pots, or furniture. I am talking from experience in medical/surgical/dental, sporting goods, electronics, packaging, toys, pop, and heavy equipment markets. I have also seen some of the first round design deliverables that Sony, Phillips, Brook Stevens, Fitch, Design Continuum, IDEO, and all are similar hand sketches with basic color, material, and shading references with supporting quick (matter of minutes) sketch models; various materials and random items taped, glued, or sculpied in place.

In short it is all about the $$$ and which mode of communication illustrates the ideas the fastest with the least amount of resources…but the ideas have to be quality ideas or you will not have repeat business or renued contract.

i think it has been established that you do not necessarily need to draw well to be a designer, but it helps people believe you will be better at it…

since you already are a competent modeler, why not put more time into sketching?

thefirststep2000 has a good example of the what i would reference that I would look for in an ideation sketch quality.

Simple
Quick (If done in painter or sketchbook @5 minutes; 5-7 minutes more to clean up before placing in client presentation)
Easily read

Thanks Xenia sh I hope you do not mind the added plug for your link.

For what it’s worth, as this thread is pretty well beaten, I was thinking about this last night, and in my 6 year career I’ve worked with 13 designers, 4 of them had the natural ability to sketch well, the others were at my level (decent and improving but not awesome very much).

Of course in the last few years since ID has become popular there are probably more people who can draw out there competing with you. What it comes down to for me is the fact that it is frustrating when I need to sketch stuff up fast and don’t “have my sketch on”, I’m the type who gets frustrated and sometimes is like “maybe I should give the racket up if the sketching doesn’t come easy”.

In my opinion to get in at one of the top firms I think you have to have awesome sketching, but the top firms are not the only good jobs out there.