Cal Poly vs. Art Center

:neutral_face:
Hi,

I have three questions,

First,
What exactly is Environmental design at Pasadena Art Center?

Second,
Has anyone made it out in the real world with this major from Art Center?

Third,
Since, I plan to attend graduate school for master in architecture, is it necessary to attend 5 year course at Cal Poly?

hey I am reformed architecture student (east cost though)

5 year programs are normaly “first professional” Barch degrees so you can get licened right after your degree.
There are diffrent types of MA degrees in Arch some are 3 or 4 year proffessional degrees for students with 4 year BA degrees in arch or other feilds.
Other 2-3 year degrees and are post proffesional.
Environmental design in my experance is a slightly more clever take on interior design so you would be in line for a proffesional MA
dont know bout accd in this but its a good if pricy school in general

ps a good architecture fourm is

Thanks for the great info guest!!!

I just got back from visiting Art Center. It seems like a very professional school. Their most well known program is transportation design. The program there is very rigorous. You also must declare a major going in. They have many ties with corperations, which the sutdents get real-work before graduation. Sometimes the best student designs are chosen to put on the market. My tour guide was an Environmental Design major; he said it was “small scale arcitechture.” When I saw some work from his peers, it ranged from room/installation (or exhibit) designs to furniture models.

Environmental Design means different things at different schools; for example the program for example, “Environmental Design” at MICA is a mix of product design, architecture, and even urban planning. I think it depends on where you go and what the course of study is.

hope this helps, I am not an alum, but this is what I have gathered.