budget screens

1920x1200 should never have been squeezed onto a 17" screen! I’m going slowly blind, as well as getting deep squinting furrows in my brow.
So… I’m planning to buy a budget(ish) 22"/24" screen with the same resolution (although most 22" screens are 1650x? :frowning: ) but I haven’t been able to find any good reviews that look at things from a design professional perspective. The industry spec system also seems intended to confuse.
My priorities in order are :

• sub £300 (€340 / $480)
  • decent gamut with good colour accuracy and minimal banding (the banding on my dell m6400 makes some work difficult) -8bit screen?
  • reasonable viewing angles (although I’ll always be looking directly at it in a fixed position.)
  • virtually everything else (height adjustability, portrait mode, response times, claims regarding HD movies, USB ports, sound, etc… even build quality to some extent) is not so important.

if anyone’s been there and has good advice it would be much appreciated.

I’m using a 32" HD monitor that I picked up new for just around $600 a year ago. I’m sure you could go bigger/better if you look around now. Look around at TV monitors, much cheaper than computer monitors.

Some think the pixel count isn’t ideal, but for me it’s perfect. I firmly believe a screen should not be smaller than 28-32" if using for design.

I once had a 15" laptop with 1920x1200. How I hated that screen at times!

Have you considered Eizo’s Flexscan series. You should be able to get a 22" or perhaps a 24" Eizo flexscan within your budget. Flexscan s2202w (22" with 1680×1050) and s24022 (24" with 1920x1200).

EDIT: btw there’s no usb in these screens and the built in speakers are a joke. They’re just good monitors that does what I consider to be the job for a monitor (show me nice pictures :slight_smile: ) at a decent price.

The Dell 2408wfp is what you are looking for.

I’ve used them in many companies doing 3D and graphics work and I bought one for my home workstation. Professional quality for a medium price. They list between $500-$600 but you can pick them up on sale for around $415 sometimes.

Specs from the dell site:

• 24-Inch WUXGA 1920 x 1200 Display – View approximately 30%1 more on-screen content compared to Dell 20-inch monitor.
  • 6 Millisecond Response Time (typical) – Reduces ghosting and imaging associated with movement for fluid motion.
  • 3000:1 Dynamic Contrast Ratio – Get dark blacks, sharp images, crisp text, brilliant color saturation and greater life-like detail.
  • 110%2 Color Gamut (CIE 1976) - With Dell TrueColor Technology, you’ll see more color than average monitor of 72% color gamut.
  • Full HD 1080p – Supports higher definition than HD television and a wide array of HD connection options like HDMI, Display Port, DVI-D with HDCP and HDMI 2.1 Audio Out.

If color is important and your budget is around $480 see if you can’t search around for a 10% Dell coupon. Their 2410 Ultrasharp 24" is a very nice panel. I’m currently running one of the older 2407 versions but I’m still very happy with it.

You can get their lower end 24" panel for $190 (which means you could effectively get 2 24" screens for less money) but if the color is an issue the high end panels will be worth the investment.

They have a lot of inputs (can be used as a TV) and USB ports which are nice. Plus the base offers more adjustability and tilt control which the low end units offer none of.

dell 2408 doesn’t seem to be available any more - I guess the u2410 is the next incarnation… but it looks to be dollar price in pounds :imp: putting it out of my budget. The Eizo option looks interesting as they have always made top end screens… Anyone else testify to any of the low-end flexscans? or dells for that matter?

You can’t beat the Samsung 2343bwx for screen resolution for the price. Granted it is a TN panel and not PVA or IPS but you get 2048x1152(QWXGA) resolution for cheap!

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-2343BWX-23-Inch-LCD-Monitor/dp/B001N0H8YW

I think most screens in this price range are gonna be TN panels.

If this is something thats important have a look at this page: http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/ (Monitor panel search), or have a look anyway, there’s some useful information there. The eizo I linked to is not there, but I’m pretty sure it’s TN.

Look around, Dell has frequent coupons and sales that may be able to get the price down. Also perhaps check sites like Ebay to see if you can find some old stock for sale locally.

There is a fairly big gap in price between the TN panels and everything else.

The low end Dells are nice if you’re surfing the web, browsing spreadsheets, or just don’t care too much about the color accuracy. But if that is an issue I would consider waiting to try and find one of the better panels on sale. It will be an investment that should last you many years (my 2407 is 4+ years old at this point and still going strong, my Ultrasharp 20" is also still going strong after about 6 years, though the panel is a bit more out of date at this point from a refresh standpoint).

I think anything you get in a TN panel you can expect roughly the same results. It may be worth going to look in a local store that has them on display so you can judge if they’d be acceptable for you or if you want the higher end panel.

I just checked ebay in the UK. here is a listing that is for 330 pounds.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Dell-Ultrasharp-2408WFP-Monitor_W0QQitemZ110479054680QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Computing_ComputerComponents_Monitors?hash=item19b9109758

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DELL-24-FLAT-PANEL-BARGAIN-VALUE-2408WFP_W0QQitemZ160392499439QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Computing_ComputerComponents_Monitors?hash=item25582350ef

Philips 240PW9ES, definitely. 24", 16:10, 1920x1200, and best of all, a high-end H-IPS matrix with great contrast, color gamut and viewing angle, simply the best monitor for the price.