BS or a BA??

how is it relevant in ID is a BS or a BA? can some one pls shine some light on it pls.

thank you.

I’m not sure it really matters, at least in Industrial Design. I can’t imagine being rejected for a job based on having a B.A. or a B.S. I have read a B.S. is a more specific degree while a B.A. is more well rounded but personally I think it just depends on how each school sets it up.

It doesn’t matter on the employer end. On the academic end, the different accreditations relate to the type of curriculum the school has. I have a BFA in ID which is a good indication that I went to an Art School vs a University which means I had more art and architectural history, and my electives had more to do with other art and design disciplines (Architecture, Graphic Design and so) vs with engineering or marketing.

Not better or worse, just different. It all depends on how you learn best.

In the UK a BS (or BSc) is generally considered to be more engineering biased, vs a BA which leans more on the ‘creative’ side. My university actually offered both streams and the above was very true there, but this is very course dependent and may not be the case at other universities. I remember worrying that I would be less employable as a BA than a BSc, looking back I think that stemmed from the proliferation of engineering jobs in the UK verses the ID opportunities - but I’ve done alright with a BA as have a lot of people I know!

In other words, check out the content of the course and make sure that you pick what suits you best, without worrying about the letters that you will get after your name! At the end of the day you will do best out of the course that you are most engaged in, and that will show in your portfolio post-university.

thanks guys!

here is another Q, will a BA in design (mixed classes of design) permit working in the field of ID?

or such fields of Automotive design?

ID yes, Automotive maybe not. Really it comes down to your work and your portfolio and experience. You could have a BFA in graphic design but if you understand product design and have the right skills then you’re employable. I would say automotive design is a whole other beast. A lot of talented students spend their entire college career focusing on automotive design and they still might not get into the field. It’s not a automatic no, but I would imagine that would be much harder to get into if you’re not in a program that is specific to auto design like they have at CCS or Art Center.

Another way to look at that might help: There are only a handful (I mean like 12-18) new jobs for automotive designers out of school per year. They have their pick of the litter. Why would they hire someone without the specific training? You would have to be exponentially better than the top guys coming out of trans programs, and have the contacts that graduates of those programs automatically get (alums come back to teach, get kids connected with companies and so on)

Is it possible? Of course!

The question is, is it probable?

Give yourself the best chance to materialize your dreams.

great information! thanks to all that asnwered my Q’s