Brooks Green Silence

Came across this at brooksrunning.com. Looks interesting.

A racing flat that’s green (and fast)!

It’s no secret. When it comes to sustainability, it’s time for running gear to lead the way, not follow. With our usual passion, Brooks has embraced this challenge. The result is the Green Silence—available February 1, 2010—a groundbreaking advance in running shoes that will not be kept quiet.

By utilizing recycled and other earth-friendly components, this striking—and strikingly fast—performance racing shoe breathes new life into the competition category—as well as countless post-race plastic water and sports beverage bottles, rubber that would otherwise be abandoned, and discarded Skid Row, Kix, and Ratt CDs. No wonder the Green Silence has so much personality.

Key Green Features:

• BioMoGo, the world’s first-ever biodegradable midsole for running shoes
  • 75% of the shoe’s materials are post-consumer recycled
  • Biodegradable insole and collar foams
  • Laces, gillies, and reinforced webbing are 100% post-consumer recycled
  • Water-based adhesives are used throughout
  • All dyes and colorants are non-toxic
  • Packaging is 100% post-consumer recycled

Constructed with roughly half as many parts as comparable shoes, the Green Silence requires less petroleum and energy to make. Of course, the shoe manages all of this while delivering the premium performance expected from Brooks.

Reduce your carbon footprint. Move forward. Run Happy®.

http://www.brooksrunning.com/Green+Room/Green+Silence/

the biodegradable midsole is whats really sweet, i know that tech is becoming more available and to me personally i think that will really make a big difference 50-100 years from now. hopefully it becomes industry standard in the near future.

Brooks actually shares the formula for their BioMogo midsole with other companies. It’s considered an “open source technology.”

This is from Footwear News…

“Brooks has been a leader in developing sustainable materials. Among other green initiatives, Brooks’ BioMoGo midsole proves that the company is committed to making innovative, eco-friendly product,” said Michael Atmore, footwear group editorial director for Condé Nast Publications, which publishes Footwear News. “The fact that Brooks is willing to share the technology with other companies just underscores how serious they are about going green.”

That is awesome that they are making it an open source tech. Actually applies perfectly to something I am working on right now. As for the shoe, I’ll wait to see more than the eyerow to comment :slight_smile:

full 360 view here: http://www.brooksrunning.com/prod.php?p=1000161D