Bring Rhino into 3Ds Max?

I am new to both Rhino and 3Ds Max.
I was using Autostudio (Alias) for 3-4 years, now switched to Rhino because of the new job.
Rhino is somewhat weak at render without the plug-in ( correct me if this is wrong). I heard that you can use 3Ds max to render better. Since we do have 3Ds Max at work, I decided to give it a try…

I tried many times to import from Rhino in dwg, iges… scaling the model …search online for solutions etc…
The best I have done so far is dwg. However, I am not satisfier with some surfaces missing .
Can anyone help me???
Any info on either Rhino or 3Ds MAx would help!!! :blush:

I always export files as an iges into 3d max, havent ever really had any probs. Rhino is pretty weak compared to alias fieted edges etc sometimes go funny… However for what it is its a great sketch 3d tool.

The best advice i can give is to export as you ahve done already as iges, 3ds or try impirting the rhino file direct into 3ds i think there is an option anabling you to do so.

Another thing that may help is to analyse the model first - Analyse - edge tools - show naked edges… this usually shows imperfections sort them out with the join naked edges function and try exportig again… good luck
if all else fails try flamingo as a render instead… or just kick off for an alias liscense

TOMfoolery

www.coroflot.com/tomfoolery

Thank you so much for the advice.
I did try using join Naked Edges…
I guess everything is unable to join since I don’t know enough about Rhino to make better surfaces.
This place I am working for is sort of a small. they don’t have money to get Flamingo or Alias (god I wish I had that!!) But they wanted A1 rendering…
Do you know where I can get Flamingo or Alias for a better price?
Thanks!

www.kazaa.com download it, but dont tell!

If they want A1 renderign they should invest in the right equipment. Flamingo isnt too expensive.

There is a 3rd party plug in made by nPower for 3DS Max that lets you import Rhino files natively.

http://www.npowersoftware.com/trans/Rhino2Max.html

Here’s another vote for this one. I don’t do 3-d yet but a guy I work with uses that, says it’s a must-have.

for max you’re better off with a plug in i guess.

i don’t know which plug in is better since i don’t use max.but i can import catia files to maya and also render it with the built in mental ray.

one of the problems with max is that your igs surfaces don’t come in as object so when you want to select you have to use a boundry select. but in maya i just pick the surface with a click and then apply the material. in max i had problems with surfaces missing parts or importing solids and surfaces together in one file.

the rendering in maya is a lot better and surfaces look much smoother. and more options.

for max you’re better off with a plug in i guess.

one of the problems with max is that your igs surfaces don’t come in as object so when you want to select you have to use a boundry select. but in maya i just pick the surface with a click and then apply the material. in max i had problems with surfaces missing parts or importing solids and surfaces together in one file.

There is another plug-in free process, but requires AutoCAD. You export out of Rhino as an .SAT, import that into AutoCAD, save the file as a DWG and bring that into MAX as a Legacy DWG. Perfect surfaces all the time as long as your surface deviation settings when importing are set up properly. The file is much smaller than an IGES or 3DS file which doesn’t slow Max down at all.

the rendering in maya is a lot better and surfaces look much smoother. and more options.

Subjective opinion. The latest versions of Max have also shipped with Mental Ray. Even Max’s internal Radiosity/GI engine is extremely capable although slow.

Take a look at work submissions over at cgtalk.com. Most of it is done with Max.

pathetic

Rhino saves *.3ds files directly.

I think if you make sure your tolerances are set tighter than the export mesh, you will have no problem with edges and other anomalies. I use 1E-06 inches for my tolerances. Also, set your render mesh to custom with all values to zero except Distance to Edge between .01 and .001.

Before Flamingo, many of the renders were done in 3DS Max. If you need some help go to the Rhino support forum and look around.

http://news2.mcneel.com/scripts/dnewsweb.exe?cmd=xover&group=rhino

:)ensen.

Exporting as STL usualy yeilds better results for me (with smoothing on import into 3ds). Since IGES seems to slow down the mahcine quite a bit in 3ds.
There’s a plugin for Rhino called TreeFrog (it’s FREE) it doesn’t do everything, but it does reflection maps and nicer shadows and is very fast. It’s not a raytrace though.
There are FREE raytracers out ther, PovRay, YafRay, and a bunch of others. They’re harder to learn, but they’re LEGAL.

So the choice is yours. Pirate or learn the freebies.

Thank you for all the input.
Although I don’t think I understand some of it yet.
But I am sure once when I get better at Rhino, I will get it somehow.
My boss is very… let say “cheap”
His Rhino was purchase in Hong Kong , it’s just a copy without all the plug-in. It very hard to learn when there is not even plug-in or Tutorial to follow.
Especailly on my own… :blush: