Books on Graphic design Sketching

Here on this board we put a lot of effuses on ID sketches, but what we don’t think about is that for us Branding and Packaging design we work with 2D as well as 3D. This can sometime be a challenge sense we are trained to think in 3D. So my question is does any one know any books out there that have nice examples of 2D graphic sketch work. This is an area I need to work on and using others as a benchmark helps me out a lot.

Do you have an example of the differences? I didn’t know there was a particular style difference between the two.

I am looking for things around typography, illustration, logo design, and other 2D work. Here is one that I found in Packaging book I have.
GraphicSketch.jpg

I guess back in the day there was probably a ton of it but with software packages being so easy to mock things up I’m guessing not all that many people have that skill in graphic design now.

I remember seeing an episode of Madmen and they had a big presentation and all the ads were drawn by hand, I thought it looked awesome.

Here’s a sketch I did for a graphic panel on a DVD display…

Ahhh, ok. I do those kinds of sketches but they are very primitive. At most they just block out and distinguish the heirarchy between the elements. After I have the areas blocked out I jump into illustrator to “sketch” out various layouts.

This is kind of sad because that form of sketching seems to be a dyeing art. Maybe it is just me, but I find that even when I throw down sketches of graphics ideas pour out the same as when I am throwing ID sketches. It helps me in rapidly visualizing the graphics that are going on the package which then helps in the design of the package itself. I agree that spending mass amounts of time getting a logo right is not worth it sense that usually has already been created.

I’m not sure I would consider it dying. I would look at it as more of an evolution of process. New technology come up that has made past process obsolete.

I would consider an art form dying when there is no present form substitute.

This is true, but I relate this to the same as people replacing sketching in the ID process with CAD. It is still using a computer to do the work rather that rapidly throwing down ideas on paper. No mater what the hand is still always faster than the computer.

Sketching for 2D work is perhaps less common now, but hardly a dead (or even dying) art. Probably most practitioners come from the old school, but plenty of younger designers still whip out the pad and pen.

Just got this book, one of several on the subject:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1592535216/ref=ox_ya_oh_product
(“Sketch Book: Conceptual Drawings from the World’s Most Influential Designers” Timothy O’Donnell)

Full of incredible work and some great descriptions of process and projects.

c.