Bobble Bottle...really?

Disposable bottles are not intended to be used for that long and the plastic leaches stuff into the water. You should pick up a BPA free reusable bottle.

I refill water bottles too.

I’ve heard that too, but can’t really believe it, and can’t find any studies that show it. Doesn’t make sense to me. Think about it, the bottles originally are filled and stay filled with water on shelves, in warehouses, etc. for months. Expiry dates are years away. So why would emptying, then refilling it make any difference than if it was just filled constantly?

If someone can point me in the direction of science, it would be great.

R

I believe it has more to do with heating the bottle… but I still don’t buy it. I did buy BPA free bottles for my kid, but I think that was more in a paranoid new parent state than anything else.

I think this product would have made more sense if they sold the filter-cap alone without any bottle. The idea of the product was for people to consume less plastic bottles right?

Still doesnt make sense to me though…

I actually read once that the only reason water bottles have an expiration date at all is because the state of New Jersey required it; so bottlers just added one across the board. There has been little or no testing in regards to anything leaching into the water, most of it is just paranoia. People keep questioning what comes from the bottle but how many people have tested and know what is already in the water to begin with?

I don’t really like to just throw out un-cited info so I will try to find the source where I read the above.

Edit:
Link to the repealed NJ bottle law
http://www.njleg.state.nj.us/2004/Bills/S1500/1311_S1.HTM

Link to an article regarding the expiration date.
http://www.wwdmag.com/Bottled-Water-Shelf-Life-Remains-Unclear-NewsPiece6599

Think of all the things humans have stored, and carried, water in for the last, oh, forty thousand years… animal
stomachs, ostrich eggs, bamboo, pottery, glass, lead soldered copper, pewter, and tin, waxed paper cartons.

What’s a little BPA compared to all of the lead, arsenic, microbes, found in these old containers…

note handy cut-down PET bottle for individual servings…

ostrich shells.jpg

As an aside, I use these wine bottles for water, filled with tap water in the fridge. Screw top makes it super convenient, and nice bottle shape, suprised more wines aren’t packaged this way (unless there is some sort of patent, which I find hard to believe).

R

I’m a big fan of the camelbak bottle above.

The Voga wine bottle reminds me of the Voss Water Bottles
voss-water.jpg

I love the concept of this design. I live in Adelaide, Australia and the tap water here in the city is loaded with Chlorine and Fluoride and tastes foul. I like the idea that I can take a bottle and fill it up from almost any water source such as public bathroom sinks or the water tanks at the toilets down at the beach and have clean water to drink.
I’m curious about the filtration power of the activated carbon filter…perhaps a UV filter could somehow have been incorporated also…? Would it be powerful enough to filter water while travelling overseas such as Asia?

Personally I think the bottle shape is a bit uninspiring and a little too similar to the ‘Pump’ water bottle.

But the Bobble looks comfortable to hold and I’m definitely going to get one once its released in Australia!! :wink:

The Aquafina bottles are made of PET which does no contain BPA.
BPA is found in polycarbonate and PVC. If you’re really concerned about it, don’t eat anything from a can. Most are lined with BPA and have been for decades.

The Kor One bottle is pretty solid and looks great. However it is top heavy. Also, as great as the lid is, the hinge is flimsy and will break off if it’s open and the thing tips over.

I just saw this on the dieline.com (the best packaging design site) and had to come over here to throw it on this thread.

Here is their little blurb on it…

Thirst for change

You probably know all about the massive impact bottled water has on the environment and you want to do something about it.

So do we.

That’s why we’ve invented 321 Water.

This beautifully designed, re-usable water bottle has a unique plunger mechanism with a built-in filter, so you can fill it from any tap to produce fresh, filtered water.

It’s the most stylish way to stay healthy and hydrated whilst reducing the use of fossil fuels, carbon emissions and waste associated with drinking bottled water.

Here is the website…—>http://www.321-water.com/

Here is a picture

Interesting… like a french press for water. Odd aesthetic, but a nice solution.

]A filtration system for a bottle that is intended to be used in areas where there is safe, drinkable water straight out of the tap seems a little unnecessary to me. However, you can definitely make a case for it in some places. Whilst I was travelling in South East Asia I must have go through hundreds of bottles of water, as the tap water is generally unsafe to drink and I was very aware of the landfill trail I was leaving behind (never mind the energy waste of producing all those bottles in the first place). I met another traveller though who used one of these…

[attachment=0]aquapure.jpg[/attachment

She had used it even whilst travelling in India and it basically filters water so that it is safe to drink, and each filtration cartridge will do so for up to 350 litres. It’s a pretty ugly design (unlike the bobble), but if I had know about it before I left I would have bought one without a second thought. Also probably very good for trekking where you are collecting water from streams and rivers.
aquapure.jpg

BTW, saw the bobble in person. It is much smaller than I thought. Closer to a 500ml coke bottle than it looks. $9.95 retail price. Package is nice too. Simple. Also, they’ve followed the American Apparel recipe:

1. Made in USA
  2. BPA free
  3. Environmental yadda yadda (small carbon footprint, less shipping, recyclable)

The design is completely unremarkable. Kinda '80s though…isn’t it?

Cup holders: I think it fits.
Stability: I think it will flop around more than an Aquafina bottle.

Richard: How’s that wine? I’ve always loved the bottle, but I’ve only had horrible experiences when buying wine based on design.

been contemplating on buying one since i already have 1 kidney left, what is this BPA free? love the designs coming out these days from the manufacturers it looks like they are targeting the y generation. i am currently looking on one that fits on my car’s cup holder.

Health advocates also recommend not reusing bottles made from plastic #1 (polyethylene terephthalate, also known as PET or PETE), including most disposable water, soda and juice bottles. According to The Green Guide, such bottles may be safe for one-time use, but re-use should be avoided because studies indicate they may leach DEHP—another probable human carcinogen—when they are in less-than-perfect condition.
Found this on about.com… they dont site sources. more research to follow

Cleanliness doesn’t guarantee safety
A University of Idaho survey revealed that the reuse of water and soda bottles was widespread on the UI campus, with some individuals using a single bottle for several weeks. One participant reported that they had reused the same bottle for six months. This survey was taken in conjunction with a graduate program study that examined the effects of repeated bottle use.

The UI study tested water samples from typical soft-drink and water bottles made from a plastic called polyethylene terephthalate (PET). Analysis of the samples showed that with repeated use, toxic chemicals in the plastic can break down and migrate into the liquid inside. One of the toxins that appeared with regularity was di(2-ethylhexyl) adipate, a carcinogen that has been shown to cause liver damage and reproductive problems.

Furthermore, when bottles were used repeatedly, the concentration of toxins gradually became more pronounced. And ironically, washing the bottles didn’t help – in fact it only made matters worse. The UI data suggested that the break-down of toxins was accelerated by regular exposure to hot water and soap.

OK so the IDAHO study was supposedly not properly conducted so I wouldn’t trust the previous statements… However I have found an actual study.

"Previous reports suggest that polyethylene terephthalate (PET) plastics used for water bottles in Europe and Canada leach antimony, but no studies on bottled water in the United States have previously been conducted.
Basically with heat as sitting in a car Antimony will leech into the water… which is toxic.

Just a side note as well. I did a project on water and the water bottle industry. Two books I have read have completely turned me off of using/purchasing one time use water bottles. One main thing I’d like to mention are the safety regulations are much more strict for municipal water supplies then water bottles.

PS more than 56 million Americans drink water that exceeds current EPA max for arsenic.
I currently can’t find the 2 books I read… if anyone would like. I can find them.

I bought a Bobble.

It sucks.