core77.discourse.group vs Discord

Just wondering if the mods or the Core77 hq has ever discussed moving or migrating or launching on another platform, such as Discord.

(couple disclaimers: I’m doing a project on moderation challenges on Discord and Slack for my grad school capstone, recently joined an ID server on Discord, which is pretty lame, and don’t use FB or their associated groups.)

I sense increasing entropy in these forums, possibly due to screen fatigue, but maybe in general, alternative community platforms for discussion are biting into these more traditional boards.

I’m a long-time member of the C77 boards and obviously don’t have problems with this format, and there are attributes and affordances of a more traditional forum that are hard to reproduce on something like Discord. Just sort of an open (research) question, if the C77 mods had discussed it, and why or why not would it work.

We have talked about discord. Obviously all of the archives would be gone… and then there is the fact that discord is… well, discord… I’m a member of a few discords and just can not get into it. There is something off on the platform itself. I really like slack, probably because it feels a lot more like a forum if it is set up properly but has a bunch of great g suite integrations and tracking threads is super nice and easy and uploading images is drag and drop. Can’t say enough good things… but I don’t think you could use slack like the forums? Maybe you can, I don’t know.

I’ve been spending less time here myself and more in private slack channels and group iMessage chains… after mask gate and the fact that I was the only person posting new work it just has not felt the same.

Michael, thanks for the candor. We’ve spoken with some mods and admins who run Slack like a forum, #channels instead of Discussion areas, and some pretty tight rules and CoC. The mods are extremely active though, both in shaping conversations (“its my thing”) and handing out the inevitable warnings and bootings. Discord does move at ‘internet time’ and maybe that contributes to the “off” feeling.

Thanks again, was just curious.

(I’d post more work if it wasn’t 3 years between new product introductions)

Discord is interesting isn’t it? My 12 year old and his friends use it to send each other GIFs and memes and chat during gaming sessions. There’s like 8 kids who use it, and each of them has started their own servers, and all of them participate on all the servers at once. It’s wild.

We used to use Slack in our office, but switched to Teams last March because of video chat and screen sharing features we were already paying for with our Office 365 plans.

In all, I can’t imagine a freeflowing chatroom style discussion on Discord or Slack. But, that’s just me. Perhaps something like Discord would make sense for the future. Surely someone out there writes custom integrations and could come up with a way to find archived boards posts within discord or elsewhere. I’d say it’s worth a bigger discussion, myself.

I’ve joined some Slacks and Discord channels. I checked them for a couple weeks and basically haven’t looked in months. I like having a landing pad that I can drop into when I want and I like the structure of having topics.

Related question: How do the Core77 moderators discuss forum-specific issues with each other? Slack or Discord could have private or hidden channels for mods to converse. Do the Core77 mods use private messaging, or is there a separate ‘hidden’ board, or do you just use email?

(again, no agenda, just trying to relate what I know about C77 to my project)

I had joined a couple design/product Slack groups and truthfully every one of them felt pretty underwhelming (though the traffic to the forums as of lately is just as bad. Having no SSL certificates for like a month and a half just shows nobody really gives much of a shit when 95% of the traffic was probably bouncing never to return).

My biggest challenge is being able to use forums as a knowledge repository, people can easily browse older topics and bump them when relevant. That’s much harder on Slack where it’s more about being able to have more real-time discussions, but once those discussions pass you rarely will bump it up again, or you find the same conversations happening multiple times.

I think Discord is aptly named, it tends to promote a lot of trolling behaviors depending on the community.

Each have their pros and cons, in general its just a question of how do you get the word out to enough people to promote good usage like any social platform or network. Core77 used to get tons of promotion from IDSA Conferences and other events, and I would regularly tell students to join the boards to get useful critiques outside of portfolio reviews. But maybe that’s gone away now that people prefer to get feedback from Instagram hearts?

I agree Mike. Maybe I’m just old but I find the way things just roll past on Discord to be not very useful.

RE Slippy. We have a private mod forum on the discussion forums here. You can’t see it unless you are logged in as a mod. :wink:

We don’t use it too much but in the old days with posters like UFO on the forums we would use it more regularly to discuss how we wanted to run things. We will usually tag controversial topics to discuss for freezing or deleting things.

Forum platforms are certainly good for this, almost like a wiki, but with more pages and scrolling. They are really helpful for mechanical advice.

Mike has a great point. Every few months I find myself doing a forum search looking for some weird manufacturing question someone had, or references for suppliers. I tried searching on Discord, but it didn’t seem to work.

I find the UX on Discord to be a hot mess. It wasn’t built to be a repository of information. You might as well just say stuff on Clubhouse.

Oh boy does Clubhouse sound unappealing. Just sitting around on a huge conference call? Hard pass.

LOL! That is the best summation of it I’ve heard. I haven’t tried it… I’m always leery when something is “invite only” but I somehow get 10 invites without even trying. :slight_smile:

I’ve been (sadly) sounding the death knell of these core boards for a while. It’s unfortunate. I used to refresh the boards 5X an hour and it was the first thing I typed into a new tab. I sent so many portfolio review inquiry emails from young designers here over the years.

I don’t think it’s one thing, but many. Core isn’t as sticky as it used to be. Coroflot was over monetized and search made useless and it’s too easy to make squarespace portfolio, or IG account. The main feed was redesigned too many times with ad $ a necessary evil making the content clicky.

Social media is easier to post to (I do so many videos but to upload just to YouTube to post here is silly),and easier to discover work and get all those fire emoji kids love these days.

I’ve never used discord but have seen some of those online “schools” use it.

I’ve joined clubhouse and sat in and participated in a room (chat? House?). It’s ok, but very much like a conference call. I don’t have time to talk for an hour for free. I’ve heard people listen while doing laundry. I’d rather run 15k or do something productive. I don’t think it’s a platform that will stick around. Time zones for one, and all content isn’t saved so even if you spend an hour talking, you can’t share or monetize it.

That being said, you never know what platforms people pick. I can’t fathom why some designers use YouTube ($?) for content when it’s the least Ewing friendly and shareable (if I click on a link and it opens YouTube I hate you), and most annoying (ads, landscape video, stupid comments, etc.).

I hope Core77 forums can exist in some way… I remember there was that discussion about adding thumbs up replies which I think took away the whole point of actual discussion…but here we are.

R

I’m likely over-generalizing, but I bet forum stickiness/volume on C77 is not too dissimilar from forum participation on any other number of platforms. I wonder if participation/visibility of the forums is actually negatively affected by being buried inside of C77/Coroflot.
Longer-form participation (real answers, some attention to grammar and punctuation) tends to ‘play’ better on these kinds of forum sites, than the simple phrases accepted as responses on other platforms. I think that is nice.
My project is currently evaluating moderation tools on Discord, Slack, Reddit, and FB. They seem to all have their own advantages and drawbacks.

Slippy,

I’d like to think there’s some sort of metric of users divided by words per response minus emoji subtracting links to massage taxi services in India to the power of experience.

But I’m not an optimist, I’m a realist.

R

I’m on an RC car enthusiast forum, as I’ve recently rediscovered just how kick ass RC cars have become in the last 10 years. But I digress. That site has thousands of conversations going at once, and the site is a disgusting bloated UI mess, but the users don’t really seem to care. Oddly enough, one of the threads I recently read was for locals looking to meet up to drive together, and they suggested starting a Discord server. About a third said they didn’t understand it, another third were already in the midst of making one, and the others had no idea why it was needed.

Richard I see your points and agree completely. Content sharing has become incredibly simple for almost everyone. Websites are easy to make without almost any effort and just a small cash investment (if you want some decent features, that is). Websites like C77 need to make money to stick around for the long term. And forum boards for creative work just isn’t the place anymore, when IG, YouTube, and Reddit are so easy.

Another thought. The collective age of the frequent users of the site has grown, too. Have I really spent more than 15 years as a contributing member of this site? Another organization I belong to SEGD, tried several years ago to get rid of their email listserv. It was as if someone had personally walked in to each member’s home and punched each member in the face. The older members couldn’t figure out how to use the forum board interface, and just wanted to gripe at each other through emails. It was incredible. That said, the same thing could be happening here…

My college car club was very similar. What started on a Listserv in the late 90’s migrated to a forum, that was heavily active for many years in the early-mid 2k’s but then gradually started falling off faster and faster as people started using Facebook groups. Older guys liked using the forum to catch up and complain about projects or taxes, and younger/active members just wanted to know where people were meeting up in real life. So it became less about knowledge sharing or content sharing and more about just a point for interaction. The old guys tried Slack which was OK for a short time but ultimately you got the impression of walking into an empty bar saying “Hey whats up” then realizing no one was there and leaving. Nothing was permanent enough for long drawn out discussions and those who were there having chats just varied based on time of day.

In a way, I think perhaps we’re dumber for it. Forums foster tons of knowledge sharing and great information. Facebook fosters “Hey let me ask this same question that gets asked 9 times a day like what kind of oil my car takes”.

But ultimately if what people want is that immediate response to a question this isn’t the right forum. We used to have active students posting portfolios for feedback, I don’t know if such a feedback loop exists anymore, or students just post stuff to Instagram and decide how many hearts it gets is the worth. I’m mentoring a few students this semester and it didn’t seem like something they were familiar with or bothered doing.

This is perfect.

Hey fellow old guys!

This kind of in depth discussion? That’s why I come here. You can’t get this on FB comments and forget about IG.

I think the resource side of the forums shouldn’t be counted out and for sure there must be some way to monetize. I know something was proposed in the mod forum I think to make some sort of “expert” feature on core77 but it sounded gimmicky and app-y like Foursquare or Yelp.

If I want to know what kind of weird feature to do in a mold, I’d ask here. If I want to know if anyone has seen a nice designed toilet plunger, I’d ask here. The collective wisdom and lack of anonymity is what makes the opinions valuable. As mentioned above too, the searching and bumping is also super helpful.

I’ve seen different monetization models from subscription to low ($2/month) rates to crowdsourcing, but I guess it’s all chicken and egg if you don’t have people sticking around to make the place valuable. I’ve got one foot out the door since I haven’t been getting notifications in years and it’s crickets in the usual threads…

example:

R