Bitchin' Knife Set? Designers Perspective

Hello Y’all,

Any strong viewpoints on a knife set that performs that does not break the pig-bank? (not to top 150 bucks) <<not Michael Graves (CRAP) >>

Thanks and Good Day!!

digital_boy

J A Henkels?
Sabatier?

Get the Wüsthof Black 6.5" Japaneese Chef Knife, 8" Bread Knife, and a sharpening steel. That should be about $160, and that should be all you need. Or you can get the 6 piece set for $200. I like the Japanese Chef Knife though. You then could save up for the paring knife and you’re set. In any case for the value Wüsthofs are much better than Henckles. Much lighter, stay sharper, and feel better. I’ve had my knives for like 4 years and haven’t had a single issue. They’re still super sharp and work great.

As someone who worked through design school waiting tables and preparing food for rich people I can tell you that the ultimate in knives among most chefs are the stainless steel knives from Global.

These are very well crafted knives and will live longer than you and several generations of offspring. Here’s the description:

“Made to the exacting standards of Japanese professional chefs, these award-winning knives are an excellent choice for the discerning home cook. Distinguished by their lightweight feel and hygienic seamless construction, the knives offer superior precision and control. They are forged in Japan of exceptionally hard stainless steel using a process inspired by the crafting of ancient samurai swords. Each knife is carefully weighted for perfect balance and comfort. Razor-sharp blades are ice tempered and hardened, so they retain their keen edge and resist corrosion. The textured stainless-steel handles provide a secure grip.”

They cost a bit more than Wusthoff and Henckel but they are well worth it. I would check around on the internet for good starter sets. My first choice would be a nice Chef’s knife or my absolute favorite which is the Japanese Santoku.

Thanks for the tips guys!! Mucho Appreciated!! ANy other suggestions from you dziner peeps?

I love my Henckels Professional S series.

A fellow designer recommended spending the extra cash on a few well-chosen knives and I’m glad I did, they’re awesome to use.

iron chef and morimoto owner, morimoto has a custom made chef’s knife that costs $20Gs

sometimes you need the holes!!

I agree with Dow317, the Wusthof series are the best choice. I worked in the ‘knife industry’ for about 4 years, and can say that especially between Henckles and Wusthof, Wusthof is the superior knife

Here’s why: At Henckles, the knives are built out of 3 pieces (handle tang, bolster , and blade) the three pieces are welded together. Makes for a really strong knife, but when you weld them, you change the temper of the steel (as you probably know) So Henckles had to move to a more rigid, although brittle, steel. At Wusthof, the entire knife is drop-forged from one consistant piece, so they are able to use a different blend of steel. Their blend is more flexible, so instead of getting tiny little chips coming off at the cutting edge, as you do with Henckles, you are able to use a steel on Wusthof knives to maintain the edge for a lot longer.

They stay sharp longer, are easier to sharpen, and since they are forged, they have a ‘cleaner’ steel, it’s components get mixed better. Often when a Henckles knife breaks, there will be a visible black carbon chunk in the cross section where it breaks. Couldn’t tell you about the Wusthof ones, as i never say a broken one!

Both are great, both cost about the same, but I think Wusthof is a better overall product.

of course, I’ve also had Global knives for 3 years that still don’t need to be sharpened yet!

Wow, rambled on long enough, happy shopping!

If you go with a Henckel or Wusthoff make sure that you get one of the higher quality lines. On some of the cheaper knives the tang (metal inside the handle) isn’t reinforced at the base and as a result the blade flexes a lot. Over time with rough use the blade can weaken and the wood pieces on either side of the handle will loosen and separate.

The Henckel Professional S that CG showed does have a reinforced blade where you see the thick section in front of the handle. That is what you should be looking for if you want quality. Global is consider top knotch because there is no tang issue with the continuous form. As an example of what not to buy see the photo below where the blade is not reinforced, this is a cheap Henckel.

those japanese ones made out of ceramics is the sharpest I have ever used.

dont know where to get them though :neutral_face:

we called that speed holes… we bore them out on our frat paddles too.

Exactly right! If you insist on Henckles, don’t get ‘Henckles International’, or the ones that only have one little guy on the logo on the blade (should have 2)

The Henckles International are made in Asia and I think Spain. Nothing wrong with them for the price, but they often get consfused with the ‘real’ Henckles from Solingen, Germany

MMmmmMmmm…speed-holes. …

Wow, I had no idea that the Global knives were so good. I have to admit that the styling actually gave me the impression that they were inferior (ie. the design was it’s “gimmick.”)

Anti-Design strikes again…

DangerSverige thanks for the lowdown on Wusthof. Now I have knife-envy.

I have a set of global knives and they are VERY sharp (cut right through my thumbnail all the way to the bone with no effort) however a lot of people complain about the balance since they have thinner blades than the Wusthof’s

also they aren’t forged from a single piece as some people may have said, the blade and tang are made and then the two sides of the handle are welded on and the whole thing is ground and polished.

As for ceramic knives they’re made by Kyocera (Boker used to make them, don’t know if they still do) but ceramic knives are very brittle so drop it once and it’s probably done for, they can also be chipped if you hit a bone.

Wow, good posts. Didn’t know the globals weren’t one piece, the chefs I used to work with never let me near them for fear I would steal em. I think I also used to make them nervous cause I always used the cleaver even when it was totally uncalled for. Oh well.

I would go with either Henckel or Global. The Japanese Santoku is probably the most popular right now since it has a nice weight and can be used for a lot of different purposes. You see it used very often on Food Network. I know budgets can be an issue but buy one piece at a time and you should be ok. You don’t need the entire set right away.

If you need any really good cookware I would also look at All-Clad. They are very tough, a little pricey, but worth it. Like anything you get what you pay for. Good knives stay sharp and the handles don’t break, good pans conduct heat better and don’t warp. You should also look into getting a good cast iron pan. The square grill pans are cool because you can cook things like salmon to perfection and they stay extremely hot.

I used to work for a housewares company in the UK selling loads of different brands. We were the distributors for Global knives and I’d go with Global over other knives any day.

The light weight of the knives is actually designed so that they are perfectly weighted in the hand to make cutting effortless. The lack of tang also means that there are no grooves to trap food which makes them more hygenic. Yes they are very sharp, but speaking from experience, at least you get a clean cut when you cut yourself!! :astonished: They do keep their sharpness pretty well, but can easily be re-sharpened with a whetstone if necessary.

There is also a more expensive selection of Global which is made from 1 piece of steel, if you really want that, but the “standard” knives are good enough.

Despite the huge selection in the range you only really need 2 or 3 knives. I’d go for the G2 cooks knife, one of the GSF small peeling type knives and a GS knife (GS5 I think is the basic cooks version.)

If you can afford them, buy Global.