best way to render in photoworks(solidworks)

what is theh best way to save a photoworks rendering? jpeg or tiff etc?

what file types can be opened in rhino and 3ds max from solidworks?

jpeg

igs

iges is a rapid prototype file not a picture file!
isn’t tif the best?

ufo answered your questions correctly

Jpg is a common compression and used widely. If you want to keep all information tiff is good but you get huge file sizes.

For transfer to other programs like Rhino and 3DS Max then you need a neutral CAD file that can be opened in those programs (which are 3D progs as well) IGS is a good format. step seems to work as well.

and stl’s?

My background is with Alias, and working knowledge of a number of solid modellers, but the same principles should apply…

re Tiff/Jpg, given how cheap mass storage is these days, I usually start with textures, decals etc. at a fairly high resolution and in lossless tiff format so that my final renders are not let down by the source images. I only use lower quality when rendering time is a factor. As far as rendered output’s concerned, I usually output Tiff, then create lower res JPGs when required (email etc). Any quality printing will be from the original TIFF to ensure crisp edges and avoid the weird colour averaging that can become more noticeable, the higher the compression you use on JPGs.

re IGS - on some combinations of export and import CAD systems, IGS can behave itself, but I’ve had so many problems in the past with misaligning surfaces (and worse) that I try to avoid unless desperate (or it’s the only translation option in the software). I have had best results from Parasolid and to a lesser extent Step. I’m not aware of IGS being used for rapid prototyping - the standard for this is the STL format. STL format is a breakdown of the model you’ve created into polygonal data (triangular facets) and is the required format for most prototyping systems and is a dead end for your data. Althopugh with some programs like pro/concept and alias, you can make design changes to this data. Albeit painfully.

hope this helps

for Rhino IGES is better, but STEP is even better (since it’ll keep the solids info, i.e. knit the surfaces)

for 3ds, I prefer STLs, if it’s just for rendering, since they tend to load quicker and easier to manipulate (at least with the versions that I used before) IGES tend to slow down the computer a lot as it needs to MESH the geometry fo viewing. You’ll have to apply a smooth modifierpreferably on import) in 3ds to get a smoother geometry.

so if you say stl files are used for rapid prototyping only. what is iges, and step used for?

also anyone have problems inporting solidworks assemblies to 3ds max?
is there a way to do this so you can render components separate?
thanks

STL - your original data reduced to a triangular mesh (for prototypers)
IGS - neutral format used for transferring data between CAD system. Surface maths retained(solids reduced to surface models)
STP - similar to IGS, but with the addition of support for Solids as well as surface data.