Best Problem I've Ever had.

So the after close to 3 years of poking around this site and forum my college letters are in and I have a decision to make.

The Schools I’m trying to decide between are:
RISD
University of Cincinnati
Pratt
Carnegie Mellon

I have my own ranking an opinion on what I want to do but i kinda just want to hear what everyone thinks first. I know there is a lot of support for Cincinnati, which i think it greatly deserves probably having the strongest program out of the 4, but there’s more to it than the program in my opinion. There’s the city, the size, the number of years, the cost, the food, the reputation.

I want to that everyone on here for your help you have steered me right thus far and I am really interested to see what everyone has to say.

Feildc notes," So the after close to 3 years of poking around this site and forum my college letters are in and I have a decision to make.

The Schools I’m trying to decide between are:
RISD
University of Cincinnati
Pratt
Carnegie Mellon

I have my own ranking an opinion on what I want to do but i kinda just want to hear what everyone thinks first. I know there is a lot of support for Cincinnati, which i think it greatly deserves probably having the strongest program out of the 4, but there’s more to it than the program in my opinion. There’s the city, the size, the number of years, the cost, the food, the reputation. "

Response: 1. As for the city, I like prividence where RISD is the best. It is a very cool, quaint city with lots to do. Pratt is NOT in a great spot.However, it is a 15 minute train ride to Manhattan,which is the best city of the bunch in my opinion. I like Pittsburgh too. Although there is a lot to do in Cincinnati, I really don’t like the city much. In addition, the area right outside of Cincinnati doesn’t seem that safe, although the campus itself seems safe.

Thus, based on city: the winners are RISD and Pratt, followed by CMU

1. Size: Clearly Cincinnati and Pratt have the biggest programs followed by RISD and then CMU. In fact, Cincinnati even has a transportation design program. Thus, Cincinnati and Pratt are the winners.

2. Cost: Alot depends on scholarships offered you. Assuming no scholarships, Cincinnati is clearly the front runner by FAR! They are at least $8,000 per year less than Pratt and $15,000 less than CMU per year! In addition, Cincinnati offers a Cincinnatus scholarship to decent students which range from an additional $2,000- full tuition. Finally, Cincinnati has guaranteed paid coops that pay fairly well too. If you combine the fact that they have much lower tuition than the others, have their “guaranteed” Cincinnatus scholarship benefit of at least $2,000 per year plus the paid coop, Cincinnati is the clear winner for price BY FAR. Pratt is probably second on the list followed by RISD and CMU. CMU is the most expensive of the bunch weighing in at OVER $39,000 in tuition per year alone.

3. Food: This is hard to say since it is subjective. I loved the RISD food plus RISD is in a great college town next to Brown. Thus, there are lots of little restaurants around. CMU has the worst food of the bunch. In fact, they are known for their bad food.However, the area around them does have some decent restaurants. I would say that RISD is the winnner when it comes to food.

4. Reputation: I can’t comment on this since I think they all have sterling reputations. In NY, Pratt probably is a clear winner. In New England, RISD probably has the best reputation. CMU and Cincinnati have good reputations throughout the country. Personally, I would give Cincinnati the edge solely because of their coop program. This way you will get 1.5 years of experience on your resume that other kids from the other schools won’t get!

Did you make a decision, I’m curious. What did you choose and why.

I ended up choosing risd. It came down between there a UC. The “college experience” was somthing I was looking for but in the end i felt that the alternative experience risd offered would be a once in a lifetime opportunity. I really fell in love with the city of providence which was a big factor is my decision as well as having family close in NYC and not wanted to be in the mid west. I’m going to really miss out on the coop experience but I plan on pursueing internships myself, which won’t compare to the six at UC but it will help. I think it was just a matter of fit I really loved both schools but there was somthing about risd that i just didn’t want to miss out on.

That’s good to hear, As long as you are optimistic with your choice and put forth the proper effort, any school (or should I say most schools), you’ll be able to pull off a great portfolio.

This means there’s one more open spot at UC :slight_smile: that’s good news for me!

RISD or UC