Best places for packaging and pop design?

When you think of Chicago, do you think of ID? I wish to go into Packaging and or POP design. I’m currently doing an internship in LA, focusing in packaging and pop, I practically fell in love with pop and packaging but my internship is now unpaid and they keep laying off people I have feeling they’ll close soon. At the same time I’m not learning much? They always outsourced their ID and focused on GD. Do you think Chicago is better than LA for POP and packaging? At the same time the traffic here in LA is making me age faster.

RTC in Rolling Meadows (northwest suburbs of Chicago, just off I-90) seems to be focused more on package and POP design. Now, I have no real basis for this statement, but Chicago certainly seems to offer far more opportunities for industrial design than LA. Traffic still sucks though.

There’s lots of stuff in the midwest. Twin Cities area in particular.

NJ is the mecca for packaging and POP. Chicago would follow second and then a few spots here and there throughout the US.

This is true. I think you need to ask your self what it is about packaging/POP you want to do? Are you looking to be a structural packaging design that doesn’t focus on graphics? Are you looking to do semi-permanent displays for retail? Are you looking for corrugated display work? Or are you looking to do it all in Brand and Retail Design and strategy? These are only a few different areas that you can go when it comes to packaging and pop.

At the same time I’m not learning much? They always outsourced their ID and focused on GD.

Get used to this. You cannot create an effective graphic without an effective graphic design to back it up. Structure and graphics go hand in hand. Now am I saying you should become a graphic designer, no, but you should understand graphics, be able to hold you own in putting them together and be able to give graphic direction.

Do you think Chicago is better than LA for POP and packaging?

I don’t know much about LA when it comes to packaging firms, but here is a list I came up with for Chicago and other areas:

LPK (Branding and packaging firm)
Kaleidoscope
BrandImage
Webb Scarlett Devalm
P&G (OH)
Fitch (NYC)
Capsule
Naugtinham and Spirk (OH)
Group4 (CT)
Product ventures (CT)
Dragon Rouge (NYC)
Swerve (NYC)

Manufactures
Graphics packaging
PCA
MeadWestvaco Corp
International Paper

The list could go on and on. I would encourage you to check out thedieline.com and look at their firm directory. You will get a better understanding of packaging firms and where their locations are.