Best Master's programs for career-changers?

In following up on my previous post, I’ve been looking at the various graduate programs in ID that would be appropriate for a career changer like myself.

So far IIT in Chicago appears to get good marks for career changers like myself. Are there other schools with similar programs?

Anyone out there been through the program?

Thanks!

you should check out PRATT’s MID, they actively recruit non-designers and I understand get them up to speed and into one of the best job markets (NY) with good consistency.
Your previous post suggested a solid research direction, and an intent to create a start-up afterwards. You might plan on adding a 4th year to the typicall 3, for someone in your position, to take an ‘entrepreneurship’ intro.

But actually the job rate is very low.
3-5% of grads find ID related jobs.

Get an MBA and go into entrepreneurship. You can hand pick your own design support staff and call all the shots. It worked for Blu Dot. A couple of creative guys got their friends together, one with a top ranked MBA, and created a start up. Now they’re selling furniture and housewares and making a good profit from what I’ve heard. Not a bad way to go.

As to an MBA vs. a Master’s in ID: Can it be said that it is more profitable to hire a designer than to be a designer?

Thanks for the advice so far. Until I hear something good about studios employing nearly-40 career changers, I’m convinced entrepreneurship is the way to go. However, is an MBA really necessary for that? As an entrepreneur I won’t be trying to impress an employer with a fancy credential, but I will be needing to impress investors and lenders for proper financing. Which degree would be better for that?

Again, thanks for your input.

As to an MBA vs. a Master’s in ID: Can it be said that it is more profitable to hire a designer than to be a designer?

You better believe it. This is capitalism 101. You can make more money when you successfuly employ others and make a profit from the effort.

If this wasn’t true, all designers would be either freelance or have their own solo firms.

As an entrepreneur I won’t be trying to impress an employer with a fancy credential, but I will be needing to impress investors and lenders for proper financing. Which degree would be better for that?

Not much difference between the two. You want their money for your work. If your undergrad work was not in business, an MBA is a very logical choice. Many MBA programs don’t require a BS in Business or Econ, and they are a perfect opportunity to network with others and get leadership and entrepreneurial experience.

In order to get into these programs, you will still need a traditional art portfolio. I don’t think it needs to be spectacular. As a person in your situation as well, I was advised by representatives at both Pratt and RISD prepare one. I am fairly certain that if you are to go into a reputable program, they will not accept you without one. Basically about 3 realistic drawings, and somewhere in the ballpark of 12-20 of any type are the requirements I have been encountering.