BEST LAPTOP??

the m60 is probably the best…but overpriced and like the fella above said, lousy service. i would check out a laptop with an nvidia fx card and a 17" screen such a toshiba or an IBM thinkpad

Yeah Alienware laptops are the go!

For the last year or so I’ve used an hp zd7000 17in widescreen, 80gigs, 3.0Mhz, with 128mb dedicated nvidia card gforce fx that performed well and rendered 3-5mb AW files at an adequate speed while multitasking AI and PS. The design was cool and probably lighter than most 17in laptops performing as good as most desktops with similar specs at the time. What really sold me on this machine was the full keyboard! I tried the Toshiba P25 with similar specs/ratings and comparable price yet it was much heavier, bulkier and had more tech bugs that I won’t get into.

After luggin around my HP zd7000 for the past year or so I decided to try the HP dv1049; waay lighter, compact and mobile yet lacks in the graphics capability of the zd7000 and P25. I do run AW on it and have used it to construct wireframes. Again, the rendering is waaay slow. I transfer those files to other machines in this case. It’s a cool form factor that adequately runs most design programs and supports a second monitor. I’ve got to say that the HP mobile design team has done some great work in the last few years.

I like the newer Sony vaio’s but found them a bit overpriced for me compared with other laptops with similar specs/ratings. I wished Alienware had widescreens versions (or I haven’t noticed any). Dell is functionally sound with great tech support (probably like an IBM but less boxier). I haven’t even looked at a Gateway after I spent buko bucks on a G4 gargantuan PC in 98! …My first I bought without piecing together myself that got me through myundergraduate years and lugged with me halfway around the world and back… probably why I got a laptop!

try looking at savrow.com they’ve got some really got laptops!

Alienware MJ-12 has 3.4 with an 80Mhz FSB.
Most other notebooks have a 500Mhz FSB.
And I don’t think you can get Nvidia cards with a Sony.

Correction 800 Mhz front side bus, no 80 as I previously posted

Alienware MJ-12 has 3.4 with an 800Mhz FSB.
Most other notebooks have a 500Mhz FSB.
And I don’t think you can get Nvidia cards with a Sony.

Have you considered a Mac??

I used to use a pc, not diss’n it but I found the mac’s easier to use (nothing beats the design of Mac products…hands down) but I personally have a 15in Powerbook G4 and use that on the go and at home use my lap top and my 20inch screen. it works fine with all adobe products, I think better then PC. Only down fall is the 3D software. but there are programs for your mac. I mainly use Illistrator, Photoshop, indesign, and corel Painter…works fine. macs are more expensive then the norm Pc laptop (expense no issue) If I were u get a smaller lap top and a screen. the smaller laptop makes it easy to travel with and then the screen will make it great for the straining and back aches of trying to use the small screen.

just a thought…

IM LOOKING FOR A SCANNER…ANY GOOD ONE

looking for a scanner any good ones out there…need photo quality, and needs to be scan over size, and slides…

thanks…

APPLE IS DEAD!

Remember that revolutionary 1984 commercial? the one with the hammer being thrown through the giant big brother (IBM) screen, remember? I wish Apple would remember! It was all about, giving people choice, revolution and a new/better way! No, now Apple is big brother! They have become what they set out to destroy. I was a member of the Apple cult, every computer I have ever owned, every computer in my company… Mac. NO LONGER!

Mac is more a lifestyle product and I can no longer justify the cost as part of MY lifestyle. Sure the OSx platform is amazing but the way mac just keeps abandoning its customers with what seems to be semi annual product updates… leaving us to ether buy the latest product/software edition or be left behind… NO, I am through with it all.

Never thought I would ever say this but I have decided to replace all the Mac computers in my life and company with PC’s! thank you Alienware!

If Apple is dead, why are they doing so well? Have you seen how there stock performed last week? They are at a 1 year high. Apple has mastered the art of “packaging” their products, hardware to software. I can’t imagine my life with out my iPOD. But I would have to agree with running CAID programs such as Alias, Rhino, Catia, etc on a Apple is probably not the best solution…yet.

I have a Toshiba 6100 Pro. Runs Solidworks, Wildfire 2.0, Pro-concept and Rhino just fine. (and yes these are legal licenses, SW and Rhino are personal, PTC’s are companies.) Only complaint is that the backlight on the truBright screen only lasts about 15 months I am on my third one now.

Current model would go with the Satellite p30 or p35, with 1024 Mb of ram. Screen issue is not really a Toshiba problem as they use the exact same Sony screen as the Sony and the Dell, which are my next two recomendations.

Purchase through Best Buy and you can customize the laptop to your liking, as well as purchase the 3 yr waranty that includes screen replacement on laptops…great feature as the screen will run you $750 if you put it in yourself, $1250 for Toshiba. BTW owner opted for the Dell M60, it’s backlight went out 18 months in, but other than that it is also high on my list of performance with same software packages.

I have also been checking out laptops and the 2 main choises for serious desktop capability are the Toshiba Satelitte p25, but my friend got it and it is massive!!! So The one i’m leaning too is the HP zd series, same shit better case=++++. Hope that helps.

ID85

I have been following this thread because I’ve been thinking of investing in a laptop. In my situation it would be a second computer, as my desktop is pretty fast.

The Alienware computers seem a good value, but like someone else said, I would be really embaressed to rip one of those out at a meeting. Man…who does their design!!!

What do you mean, who does their design, they are a prime example an instanly recognisable brand through the brand/design language used. Yes the Alien eyes seems tacky but when you think about it…it was pure genious. You will never think it is a dell or sony.

ML

I wonder what it was like for the first person to “rip” out an apple laptop at a meeting. A big glowing apple? “is that a toy”? - thats what the client was thinking!

FYI: Astro did the Alienware brand stuff…

apples sleek and simple design can not be compared to any other brand that is doing computer electronics. the new G5 tower and the new lcd screens and teh powerbooks all are very well designed. I like minilistic design and simplicity and apple design is that. (but is not for everyone) tell what can top this…

[/img]BUT also they have GREAT packaging.

**sorry for the large pics…

I own Mac powerbooks, and I agree with you they look amazing! My problem is with the Apple brand. Apple has become a monster that eats its young. I just can not justify paying twice as much as a PC and getting mostly style and no sizzle. I need a computer that runs Solidworks, ProE… unfortunately Mac’s dont! sad!

true.

the price difference kills the bank account. I wonder if they will ever run these programs. Why doesn’t adobe make a 3D program???

If you have lots of money burning a hole in your pocket you could try going here and configuring a laptop… I’m sure it won’t be light though (5.5kg if you go for the one with the pci express graphics).

http://www.eurocom.com/