BEST LAPTOP??

FELLOW DESIGNERS,

IM LOOKING FOR A NOTEBOOK/ LAPTOP THAT CAN PERFORM BIG PSD FILES AND MANAGE 3D CAD RHNIO AND SOLIDWORKS WITH NO PROBLEMS, ANY ONE KNOW WHAT TO BUY? COST IS NOT AN ISSUE AT THE MOMENT.

I GOT A SONY IN MIND BUTS ITS TOO DAMN HEAVY

THANKS

You might want to check out the Dell “Precision” M60 - this is a workstation-class machine in a laptop form factor. Probably heavy though.

urgh, how could you use 3D software like that on a small laptop screen ? that would drive me nuts!

I recently bought an AVERATEC notebook. It’s been performing fine. I look to download and work with the same softwares, two of which have been downloaded and performing fine. Check out AVERATEC’s site and judge for yourself.

I don’t think Dell sells the M60 anymore.

Look at the Alienware MJ-12 or save some money and get the Area 51 with the Nvidia 5700 card.

The Dell 9100 doesn’t offer and Nvidia card.

Also, check out
http://boxxtech.com/asp/cf_step2.asp?ModelInstanceID=411

Sony is overpriced.

Dell still sells the M60…in fact, it’s brand new:

http://catalog.us.dell.com/CS1/cs1page2.aspx?br=6&c=us&cs=04&fm=10489&kc=6W463&l=en&s=bsd

Two of the guys I work with have the previous model from Dell and it seems to work quite well…

As far as what to look for, I think you’re best suited with an OpenGL Video card and lots of RAM. There aren’t many laptops out there that will adequately run the 3D software you refer to without being “heavy” though. Because of the tech and power associated with the higher-end laptops, you’re most likely going to be stuck with a heavier than average portable…

Best of luck.

I’m using a 1.5 year old Dell 8500. Using rhino, solidworks, 3ds max, autocad, premiere, illustrator, indesign, photoshop, macromedia suite, you name it and I’m running it. Works great, just to let you know. I’ve got the nvidia card. Just buy as much ram as you can, even if at the expense of the processor. And, yeah, you’re going to have to put up with the ‘heavy’ factor. Oh, i recomend the 15.2 widescreen with ultra high res.

Side note: the only thing i’ve found that it doesn’t like to run is the Halo game, but as you can probably guess I don’t have much time to play it.

I have an IBM Thinkpad A31p. It’s pretty good at running a bunch of Adobe programs, and I ran Alias 10.0 on it.

Definitly Sony VAIO.
Might not be the lightest, but unles you are puny and sickly you wont notice it after 1 week. But then again, I work out so I’m huge.

16" monitor, running Pshop, Ills, Rhino, SW, formZ, no problems, Plus best customer service and warranties. Looks cooler too. Go and check it out in person at the Sony store.

http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/en/-/USD/SY_BrowseCatalog-Start?CategoryName=cpu_GRT390Z_Series&Dept=cpu_VAIONotebookComputers

The Sony is overpriced, and the card is at least Nvidia, but a weak one.
AlienWare MJ-12 or Area 51 is better. And comes with better RAM.

yea, alienware… also comes with a helmet and nintendo power gloves in neon green. I wish i still played video games…

But seriously, unless i was going to a Rumplestiltskin3D (or whatever kids play these days) convention, I wouldn’t carry such a laptop around, especially to work/business trips. But that’s just me… and the environment I’m in = grown up’s.

http://cycle2fastcash.com/alienware_laptop_3.htm

haha!

I went to this nudie bar and I had the best Lap Top ever. She was great!!!

yea I know her… she was overpriced and overall, was weak… the ram was good but i woke up, went to the doc, found out she gave me nvidia…

But seriously, unless i was going to a Rumplestiltskin3D (or whatever kids play these days) convention, I wouldn’t carry such a laptop around, especially to work/business trips. But that’s just me… and the environment I’m in = grown up’s.

Since when does “grown up” = NO FUN?

Oh, and stay away from SoFla if you’re worried about nvidia guys, it’s running rampant down here…

Hey all,
I would say that Dell has terrible customer service which you will have deal with sooner or later. I tried to buy a dell workstation laptop and just received the worst customer service of my life. This fiasco led to my purchase/discovery of the Alienware Area 51m :stuck_out_tongue: laptop. This computer is way better. Upgradeable graphics card, 3.2 ghz processor, quadro fx 1000 card for the best 3d creation…Alienware now offers digital content creation specific versions of this computer, called the Ozma? or the MJ-12. Thecustomer service is very, very good!!!They respond immediately and care!..don’t buy from Dell…Look elsewhere…

You must have been with her twin sister- she’s got nvidia!

the m60 is probably the best…but overpriced and like the fella above said, lousy service. i would check out a laptop with an nvidia fx card and a 17" screen such a toshiba or an IBM thinkpad

What do you guys know about HP? When i configure one of their machines to seemingly match the specs of a dell or the alienware the price is dramatically lower.