Best Computer Art/Digital Media/Interaction Design programs?

Hi all, was wondering if anyone has any experience with Masters programs for computer art, digital media design, and interactive design…am interested in things like kiosks, interactive environments, interface design, web, video…thanks!

UCLA: Is this new? They accept 7% of their applicants…sounds artsy
RISD: Digital Media (you don’t hear much about this program)
NYU ITP: $34,000 a year!
SVA: Computer Art (in NY–comparable to NYU ITP?)
Parsons: I hear they have bad facilities
IIT
MIT: I don’t think I would ever get in

???

UCLA: Is this new? They accept 7% of their applicants…sounds artsy
RISD: Digital Media (you don’t hear much about this program)

Response: RISD’s program is relatively new and VERY hard to get into. They take less than 20% of those who apply. They have some well known folks as professors,but I don’t know more than what I have said. Frankly, I can’t imagine RISD doing anything badly.

NYU ITP: $34,000 a year!
SVA: Computer Art (in NY–comparable to NYU ITP?)

Response: SVA is well-known for animation. If it is animation related, you won’t go wrong here.

Parsons: I hear they have bad facilities
IIT
MIT: I don’t think I would ever get in

Consider addiing SCAD. They have a sequential art program that supposedly is very good.

Also noteworthy and worth checking out is

1.RIT in New Media,
2.Pratt’s program in Computer Art, which has several concentratins, and
3.MICA’s program in digital media,

Tech Art Guy,

I’m a grad student in the program at Pratt currently, and will tell you straight up that unless you want to be an animator, the department doesn’t have the resources to support the non-animation students in their department. I had suggested the idea of unionizing, essentially, to make sure they don’t cancel every.single.class.every.single.semester. because half the concentrations dont have a minimum of six people to register for the classes.

The critiques are limited to technical ability and tends towards the fluffy side. The faculty aregreat but the curriculum is fairly nebulous. Needless to say, I’m actually scrambling to apply elsewhere for next year. It’s kindof unfortunate… they’re trying to make the department less animation and 3D oriented, but simply don’t have enough students for it, and by not accepting a decent amount of students, we all get short shrifted. It’s too bad… there is potential, and it has been a very valuable bit of time at Pratt.

RISD’s program isn’t impossible, contrary to rumor. I saw a waitlisted student’s portfolio with nothing digital whatsoever… it was decent, but not wet-your-pants thrilling. However, the student was spectacularly well spoken. Because they don’t really do an interview, you can try calling and essentially courting them, get them familiar with your name. They have some fantastic faculty, we had some of them as guest speakers… very interesting stuff.

As far as I can tell, UCLA isn’t accepting any new students for the coming school year, according to their website. I don’t really know how that works, but just based on the students they currently have, it seems like they can afford to do so, they’re incredible.

SVA has a fantastic rep for 3D, and they actually do offer a lot of non-animation courses, but I don’t know much about the program

ITP looks beyond and away completely out there… the price tag is a shocker, but their students seem to put out the most creative work around. SVA is known for being very commercial in orientation. Check out the ITP website… there are students and projects listed, it’s fantastic. Their deadline is January 5th if you’re aiming for it.

Art Institute of Chicago has a pretty neat art and technology program… they seem fairly focused on interactive installation and such. I have no idea regarding their students’ work though.

Parsons - I don’t know about their facilities but I have heard great things about their program. MIT’s Media Lab is obviously unbelievable, but unless you’re a programmer/engineer, there’s only one “group” that is art-based. MICA I have heard is essentially on the level of Pratt, nothing more.

Best to narrow down your focus… are you doing robotics and physical computing, interactive installation, interactive media or web-based stuff, 3D…? Then contact the departments and see if they mesh.

Best of luck

Hey thanks for your replies. I visited SVA’s Computer Art department. I haven’t visited any other schools (yet) so I don’t have anything to compare it to. They do installation work, but I think their bread and butter is 3D and animation as well. It sounds pretty cool. They’re not a hardcore interactive media program, though they have a little of that also. Their animation students seem to do well after graduation.

I didn’t see on UCLA’s site that they are not accepting new applicants? If there’s an impossible art school to get into, it seems like it’s UCLA b/c the tuition is potentially so low and they only have something like seven students in a class. Sounds like a great program, though. ITP sounds great and it seems their graduates are all over NYC, but I can’t afford their ridiculous tuition.

Will research some more…don’t think I can make the 1/5 deadlines though…

You might want to check out University of Cincinnati for its digital media program. It looks very good.

check this school: http://www.wsd.ac.nz
if you thinking to study in New Zealand
this is the best design school, my friends have studied their Master programme there.

good luck

Full Sail…High $$ but great education