becoming a freelancer for your old company

Hello out there, is there anyone who can give me some suggestions on how to becoming a freelancer for a company I was once employed with?

If you left on good terms and still keep in touch, I would just float them the possability of flowing you some side work if they had an overflow or wanted a fresh look on something. In the end these types of relationships can work out very well. You know their system, they know the type of work you can do.

I guess it’s more of the approach. I am still working with this co. and am needing to propose this alternate role, which would be to work as a freelancer.
i’m looking for the best way to approach the employer with the stance that this would be advantageous for the co. as well as for me .

I actually did this after I left my previous position last year. Of course, I already had another job lined up, so when I gave them notification of my departure, I basically used that to sell myself on a freelance level. Things to emphasize are:

1. They don’t have to pay your insurance coverage, benefits, etc.
  2. You know their system and what best works for them.
  3. Familiar with their vendors
  4. Familiar with their product.

These are a big deal since if they tried to farm out the work to a design firm, there would be some time wasted because the firm doesn’t know as much as you know. Your main selling feature is your experience with the company, and you can probably charge less. I never really gave a flat hourly fee, just quoated them per job.

Worked for me rather well, but I wasn’t trying to do freelance full-time.

IMHO, the best way to go freelance is when you have a substantial number of years under your belt in design firms and in the corporate environment. Gives you a lot of contacts and experience.

Good luck!

I would agree with 6ix. I recently informed my company that I was leaving to pursue a grad degree and as part of my leaving I worked out a deal where I would help them locate a replacement and continue to do freelance work from a different city.

I’m going to set up an S-Corp and business bank account so they can write me company checks like I was a vendor and then I can claim business expenses as tax deductions.

They like it because they don’t pay for benefits, they don’t pay for me to sit around and type on Core77 when things are slow, and I know what they need for their projects. They are even going to set up a VPN so I can access their servers just like I was still in the office.

I like it because it gives me the freedom to pick and choose what I work on, when things are slow I can get freelance web design projects, and I can significantly lower my cost of living by relocating and working remotely.

It also gives me the flexibility to study for graduate school entry tests, be closer to my family, and lead a much more stress free life.

If you have a fast computer, good software, and a cable internet connection you’re pretty much good to go.

I´m doing freelance since I left the company I worked for last year…My ex-boss is now my client, and she pays me by work…It´s working so far, and it´s been good for me while I look for a full time position.
Good luck :slight_smile:

I did it for about 4 years, works out well. I brought home more money but had more freedom, more creative work, less unnecessary corporate meetings. If you did good work when inhouse, they’ll remember you for freelance. You’ll also have the benefit of a wider net of contacts for freelance as previous co-workers leave and go to other places and remember you for specialty work.
It has it’s ups and downs, you just have to figure if the benefits outway the negatives to you. There is something nice about knowing you’re getting a steady paycheck being inhouse. Weigh your pro’s and cons. Good luck.