BCom (Marketing) to I.D

So I’m currently in my 4th and final year of a Bachelor of Commerce degree with a Major in Marketing at McGill, and I’ve decided to pursue a second degree in Industrial Design. I’ve always been into sketching and digital art and have spent a lot of time over the past 4 years developing websites, promotional posters, etc on a freelance basis, and I’ve also discovered through my courses that a lot of my interest lies in new product development and branding.

Browsing way back into this forum, most of the topics have concerned people moving from engineering into industrial design, but not from a business background to industrial design. My question is what type of degree would be best suited for a future career in an area of product development and branding (strategy, packaging, etc). Would it be best to do another bachelor’s in ID to gain the basic skills, or should I try and apply straight into a Master’s program, which I understand would be more theoretical and research based? Or is there something else that I’ve yet to come across?

Also, I’m really leaning towards Carleton seeing as how it’s got a very good reputation and I’m originally from the Ottawa area and would love to go back, but I understand that the admission is pretty competitive. I was told that only 47 students are admitted per year. Does anyone have any idea of how many actually apply, and any tips on how to make my application more attractive (in terms of what to include in the portfolio, letter, etc)? And are there a lot of applicants/students who are pursuing a 2nd degree, or would I be mostly surrounded by 18 year olds fresh out of high school?

Thanks for any responses!

I’m an industrial design major myself, and considered studying marketing in addition to it. There is definitely an overlap in the two fields when you’re creating a product. I’m only in my 2nd year of school now and have no professional experience but her is my 2 cents:

If branding and strategy is what you’re looking to do, I don’t think studying ID would be necessary, you current degree should be sufficient. As for packaging design, this is something that you might want an ID background for.

If you are serious about actually designing products or packaging, a bachelor’s is going to be necessary 9 times out of 10. You are going to need that knowledge to build up your portfolio and your fundamental skills. However, I wouldn’t recommend a master’s program without those fundamental design skills, unless it’s sort of like Stanford’s ID program. It’s not necessarily a dedicated design program but curriculum in addition to normal degrees (more info here: http://www.core77.com/design.edu/school_details.asp?school_id=64354)

The range in ages I’ve come across in my ID program is absurd.

Hope this helps, good luck.

My advice would be to begin at the end. What do you see yourself doing once you are out of school?

If you want to do hardcore ID, designing mass produced objects hands on, then yes, another bachelors is a very good way to go if you can afford the time and money.