BBC Documentary Season on ID

Works now, guess I just needed to wait for a bit and try again. Thanks.

Wow both shows are great. Thanks for the heads up. I know The Genius of Design can be found on torrents but I haven’t found Design for Life anywhere accessible.

One of the guys on the show was posting Vimeo files on here for a while… if you search Core77, I bet you could find them

If you can wait until 7th June, Genius of Design DVD is available on Amazon

I was wondering what some of you thought about the quality of the contestants in the reality/contest show Design for Life with Philippe Starck. I know that a lot of their presentation and work was probably cut out and edited to create more drama … but what did you think about the design challenges and general quality of ideas/designs as well as Philippe Starck himself/his design ideology?

[spoilers]

Here are some of my thoughts:
I thought a lot of the criticisms about the quality of ideas were spot on. For example the lamp that turns into a baseball bat, the oyster pull out space saving kitchen space, and even the glove that blinds would-be aggressors at night all seemed a bit shallow with no real thought or innovation put into the product itself. Maybe it’s just me but I was also somewhat disappointed with the winner and runner-up’s ideas. They seem to “work” but there wasn’t many reasons stated or explained as to why they made certain design decisions. What I also did not like was Philippe Starck’s obsession with creating something totally new as well as “it must be beautiful” mentality for making design decisions. I’m wondering, to those of you who know more about Starck than me (most of you guys probably) … has he ever come up with something totally revolutionary that benefits mankind in products he has designed in the past? I see nothing wrong with the idea of redesigning. That’s what most designers are probably doing … redesigning tables, lamps, cars, etc. I don’t think most IDers are working on some new entrepreneurial product that doesn’t already have competition. There also is rarely anything totally “new” in designing products in the sense that we’re probably all borrowing ideas we’ve seen somewhere else through our own experience (nature or simply borrowing design ideas from other areas and reapplying them to a new area/product). To me, usually, the only truly brand new things that really fit the mold of world-changing break-through products are products created out from new technology and research breakthroughs. And finally to address this idea of “beauty”. Sure Starck thought that the winner’s product was beautiful (I personally think it’s more interesting than beautiful), but is beauty for beauty’s sake a good enough reason for her to have won? I’m not sure I’m sold on that design being all that new (albeit there are some features that weren’t fully described). How much different was that from a normal cane or a walker? To me she won mainly because her product fit the criteria, was ambitious (she didn’t even go with her original idea of the product separating into two walking sticks which was disappointing to me), and it looked “beautiful” like a “sculpture” (which if my memory serves me right, Starck said he did not like in one of the beginning episodes).

Turn out they were showing it on swedish tv this spring, lucky me!

Thought the 4 first episode were really good. Yes, it was a bit architecture heavy during episode two, but I didn’t really mind.
Don’t know if it’s possible to watch it from abroad, but you could always give it a try. http://svtplay.se/v/2000239/genial_design/del_1_av_5__industrialismen?cb,a1364145,1,f,-1/pb,a1364142,1,f,-1/pl,v,,2008170/sb,p132049,1,f,-1

Have episodes 4 and 5 aired? Any links from where to download?

Huh? What channel? Has it already aired? That link didn’t work.

dangit, ill just paste the big fat mega url here then.
http://svtplay.se/v/2026486/genial_design/del_4_av_5__plastens_genombrott?cb,a1364145,1,f,-1/pb,a1364142,1,f,-1/pl,v,,2000239/sb,p132049,1,f,-1

Ooh nice! TV-dinner tonight! :slight_smile: Thanks

So it worked for you? thought it only worked for swedish residents. Or maybe you are, what do i know… :slight_smile:

Hehe, I am :slight_smile: Watching ep3 now, it’s a great show. Probably will ask my engineering colleagues to watch it, something I did not do with Objectified.

I caught the series when it was on tv. It was interesting but I thought there easily could have been some stronger contestants on the whole … A fold-up lamp shade for attacking intruders :slight_smile:

I was walking around a design museum on my lunch break today and noticed a strange looking stool in the distance. I went to look at it and saw that it was designed by Philip Starck. It naturally matched his bold, unusual, stand-out and organic style. Then I began to think about the winner of the show, and I think she is more intelligent than I previously thought. Her design could easily have fit into Starck’s collection.

Winner’s design

Starck

Starck

I found this (rapidshare, etc) link for the entire 5 episode download

from the core77 front page:

you can download using keepvid as high def. mp4:

Damn. Too late - they’ve been removed. There goes my evening…

heres a link for episode 4.

http://xhgc18.blogspot.com/2010/06/genius-of-design-s01e04.html

Go to demonoid.com and search for it. There’s a torrent for all 5.

Somebody help me!

I didn’t manage to watch the last three episodes…
Damn!!
…and all the links are down!!

What to do?
Can anyone help me?

P l e a s e . .

I think they’re on tudou or youku. I know they’re on demonoid as I pointed out in the previous post.