backgrounds

hey in your folio - should you have a theme - eg all the backgrounds are silimar, simliar colours etc - or each image board be different - have it’s own feel

Portfolio’s are many times referred to as ‘your book’ for a reason. Your book should have some consistency. I personally feel that the ‘backgrounds’ or ‘grid system’ of your portfolio should be pretty invisible. You want people to focus on the work not the portfolio design/layout.

So the executive summery of above would be:

• have a consistent layout (based on a grid?)
• keep the backgrounds subtle
• folio should focus on the work not the ‘book design’

but presentation’s important too…“the book” should attract and enhance the viewer’s experience. personally, i dont really like consistent layouts. every project’s differnet…yup

but dont go graphic-crazy on layouts and backgrounds. i did it once. nobody appreciate it… :blush:

plantationfarmer:

I think you misunderstood me. Yes presentation is very important. Look at a beautifully designed book. You will find that they:

• have a consistent layout
• subtle background design
• allow you to focus on content (and not on the book layout itself.)

If your book is boring its not because the layout is consistent, its because all your design work is the same (same type of projects, same styles, same target audience, etc.)

laureng is correct. The format should be invisible. It is the last thing that should be on the interviewers mind. Look at how magazines and periodicals are designed to get an idea

I like mine all white and plain. For me, my style of layout is the format.

I got 2 portfolios, one with a very subtle graphics, very consistent…and another one is very crazy, much more colorful graphics, different layouts and colors for different projects, where each project is a different story with a different feel. The projects in both portfolios are the same, but just presented differently. I’m mostly interested in toys, so I start of by showing “the clean” portfolio to the toy people, and if they like it, I show the second “crazy” one, where each project is presented in its own fantasy world. Some people like the clean one, some like the crazy one better. For the non-toy places I showed just the “clean” one.

I had a pop-up book portfolio last year…talk about crazy layouts, the guy who interviewed me at Fisher-Price loved it. And when I met some designers there for the first time, several of them said something like…”Oh, you’re that intern with the pop-up book portfolio! It was cool!” Luckily, they liked it…I don’t think I’ll do anything that insane with my portfolio ever again, though.

would really like to have a look at the popup book. sounds interesting.

Just remember this: the work is what people are really looking for. As a rule of thumb spend a week on your work for every hour you do putting your book together.

Also: never distract from the work (unless it is so bad you need to)

A problem-free layout.