backdrop + glass, problem in alias imagestudio 2?

Hi

Im working on a scene where i need pieces of glass in combination with a backdrop environment in alias image studio 2, but nomatter how i tweak the settings i can see through the glass. I’ve been increasing the refraction level and everything. ive been tryin clear glass, clear plastic, water. nothing seems to work.

has anyone had the same problem, any ideas what to do?

thankful for any kind of usefull input on the matter!

I’m not quite sure I understand the problem.

Glass is clear, so the fact that you can see through it makes sense.

What type of effect are you trying to achieve? If you don’t want to see through the glass you would have to lower the transparency.

If you have a picture of the effect you’re trying to achieve it would make more sense.

I’m not completely sure how the materials work in Imagestudio. I’ve used v3 a fair amount, but never v2. I use Maya for most of my final renderings.
If it’s anything like Maya, set the material color to black and the transparency color to (hue/saturation = color of glass AND value = transparency). Then just play around with the refractive index and reflectivity settings to make it look perfect.
I think Imagestudio’s “glass” shader has fresnel shading built in, which is a good time-saver (rather than having to set it up every time in the Hypershade).

If you don’t want to see through glass…maybe you mean like volcanic obsidian glass? The just set the transparency to a very low point (obsidian, for example, is very dark brown), translucency up a little, and maybe try and work in some Subsurface scattering.

my bad. I can’t see through the glass. It’s coming out either to dark or really really white…

I can’t show the entire image. but it’s supposed to look like a glass tube with a flexible tv screen + a few flat screens on the inside. everything mountet in a metal tube (the red area).

thanks

you need something for the glass to reflect…so “you can see the glass” as it were

When you say you’ve adjusted the refraction level, do you mean the refractivity of the material? It doesn’t look like that’s the issue. It looks to me like a refract limit problem. I haven’t logged much time in ImageStudio, but look for a setting called refract limit, max refraction rays, or something like that. It may be present in both the shader settings and in Render Globals. Set it/them to at least 6.

Not sure what else it could be.

Ah ok that makes sense.

Like he said the problem isn’t the material, its the render settings most likely. Light is able to bounce into the material, but the settings aren’t high enough to let it bounce out.

Go to the “adjust quality” button underneath the render buttons. You should see “Refractions” and should bump it up a notch (you can do a small area render to see if its working) until it gets to the desired level. That should put you in business.

I’ve tried to increase both the material’s and the final rendering’s refraction to max (20, 10) and it’s still black. Can this be a problem related to the backdropp environment? If I use other environments such as Cat’s Eye there’s no problem.

??

Thanks for input

Well first things first.

Craete something simple and make it glass. MEss with the settings and see if that renders okay. Once you figure out you aren’t going crazy then go and apply similar techniques to your more complex object.

Where is your light location and what is the environment directly in front of the glass and how reflective is the glass? Imagestudio and Maya both have default black environments and if your glass is facing it, that will be reflected.
Personally I like to use MEntals Ray with HDRI image based lighting environments in Maya to do my renders of a booth or display such as you are using. This helps develop a more natural feel for the scene.

If you are looking for a good tutorial on lighting with Studio Tools and Image studio get this DVD.

http://www.thegnomonworkshop.com/dvds/dbr01.html

Dustin Brown knows his stuff on this DVD. Plus he is from ASU which rocks the house! Sorry had to put my school plug in there.

If you are interested in rednering with Maya check out the Mental Ray DVD’s they have also. You could render a pretty sweet looking glass and metal object using caustics! I recommend all three disks becasue you will learn about the approximation editor in disk 1.

http://www.thegnomonworkshop.com/dvds/mha01.html
http://www.thegnomonworkshop.com/dvds/mha02.html
http://www.thegnomonworkshop.com/dvds/mha03.html

The problem might be that your frontal reflections are just of the black environment. The thing about glass, metal, ceramic, chrome, etc. is that it doesn’t have much of a color/texture of its own. Most of what makes something look like “glass” or “brushed aluminum” is just the environment around the material, reflected and refracted in a particular way. In reality, you’re almost never going to have a plain, solid black environment (maybe in a photographic studio, inside a box). Professional photographers will place white and black cards aroud a reflective object to get just the reflection they need. So probably what you need to do is put something behind the camera for the glass to reflect.

Try building some real white cards (Assign them a lambert or surfaceshader material that’s pure white) and stick them in the environment. Move them around until you get the perfect reflections.

(as an aside, it’s interesting how one material can look like another in a certain environment. One of the tricks I’ve used before to simulate metal on a model is to leave the thing coated with white primer, then light it from only one angle in a gray or white environment. In that environment, both flat white and brushed metal look almost exactly the same…managed to fool my classmates anyway :slight_smile: )

Any luck?

Craete something simple and make it glass. MEss with the settings and see if that renders okay. Once you figure out you aren’t going crazy then go and apply similar techniques to your more complex object.

This is a good idea. Have you tried it, more10? Start with a simple sphere and see if the materials work. Then add wall thickness to the sphere and check again. Keep increasing the number of scene elements until the problem starts occurring again. This might give you some info on what’s causing it.

Dustin Brown knows his stuff on this DVD

Thanks! :slight_smile: