Baccalaureate Majors, Minors

Which would you suggest?

• B.S. in Industrial Design at OSU
  • B.S. in Operations Management at OSU with a minor in ID
  • B.S. in Industrial Design at OSU with a minor in General Business
  • Other

0 voters

I have a question for design professionals about major concentrations in a bachelor’s degree.

Is it absolutely necessary for someone to major in Industrial Design to work in the field?

The reason I ask is because I’m currently attending Ohio State. As far as industrial design goes, I realize it’s probably not the most prestigious ID school and it might be a little hard to start off with a decent salary with an ID undergrad degree from OSU. On the other hand, Ohio State is consistently ranked in the top 10 public business schools in the nation. It also recently started offering ID and visual communication as a minor.

As far as my post-graduation career, would it be a better idea to major in ID here at Ohio State OR to major in Business and minor in ID for a degree that could perhaps offer more versatility in the future…?

Also, the Fisher College of Business MBA program doesn’t require that you major in Business for your undergrad work (or so I understand). Would it be worth my while to major in ID for undergrad and then go back for an MBA?

Thanks.

do you want to be a designer or a business administrator?

A mix of both, maybe. Is that possible?

For what it’s worth, if I could do it over, I would major in ID, maybe minor in Business or engineering, then get the MBA.

Unless the school is going to be a liability on your record (to the point it would offset your portfolio or be lame in the overall program) I would stick out the ID. It gives you a core discipline to build on later. Your school is a solid school, so I don’t think that’s the issue.

Having done a BS in Business with some art classes, now I’m ass backwards taking the rest of my foundation courses, and I’m still going to be doing an MBA on top of whatever design or art courses (even up to MID or MFA) I take.

Don’t get me wrong, because my business courses at undergrad have been helpfull in running my own business, but I can’t go into industry without the skills I would have gotten by now in ID. I’m still short by a degree (literally), BFA or MFA, and it’s not like I’m wanting to lateral from architecture or something. I have to build most of my skill sets from scratch still, and I would never really get a shot at an entry level design position. My best shot is at a management or strategic analyst position where Im using the design as a tie in, or just continue to do my own thing.

The MBA programs are more flexible and can be done at night. They are usualy intended to be a leadership or entrepreneurial focus. The ID at the bachelors level is more oriented toward actual skills and principles.

It seems like a business degree is fine for starting your own business or entering the workforce in mgt or one of the business disciplines (acct, fin, econ), but having a degree in one of your company’s lines of business (engineering, chemistry, design, etc.) and them polishing off with masters level work later on gives you a huge knowledge base to leverage.

Two cents spent

That was helpful, thanks. Are you the same Guest that commented on my Study Abroad post? Guests seem to be really intelligent and full of good experience and advice. Bring on the Guests.

Where did you get your BS in Business? Good luck on your MBA/MFA, I’d like to hear more about your academic pursuits and your business.

I’m sort of in the same boat. I studies a lot of business, and ran my own graphic/web design business throughout Uni. Now I’m in the industry, and have designers working for me. Problem is, I’ll never have the cred to make it too much further up the mgmt chain unless I get an MBA. In the real world, working corporate, having a strategic view on your business really sets you apart, and will help you accelerate rapidly in your career. I’ve taking the opposite tact, that I’m taking all my foundation courses at night here in Seattle, and am really loving it. Means I can design by day, study by night, and then segue into an evening MBA course next year. I see that combo as being pretty decent for running up the chain much faster, but more importantly making the contacts, and learning what I need to know to run my own business. Nobody’s getting rich these days working for somebody else… just making somebody else rich.