Autocad or Form-Z ?

If you had a choice between Autocad or Form Z, which one would you learn? Which one of these 2 programs is worth learning?
(I’m an Industrial Design Student and i have knowledge in Alias and solidworks…)

I used to use Autocad purely for technical drawings…I’m not familiar with the 3D side.

I use FormZ now for modeling and rendering…the drafting side is (at present) pretty lame compared to autocad. Although I understand in their new version, 4.5, they will accept plug-ins…so everyones hoping there will be a decent drafting plug-in. FormZ is considered, argueably, to be one of the best modellers on the market. While it doesn’t excel in any specific industry it offers such a range of modelling tools that is capable of doing anything from Architectural renderings to industrial design and packaging.

I sound like a sales man.
I also find FormZ to be MUCH more friendly to use that Autocad.

Depends what you want to do.

What area of Industrial Design are we talking about? Exhibit? POP? Consumer Product? It makes a difference

[quote=“nydesignguy”]Depends what you want to do.

What area of Industrial Design are we talking about? Exhibit? POP? Consumer Product? It makes a difference[/quote]

Interiors, exhibit, etc…

I would have to say both then. FormZ is pretty much the industry standard for 3D visualization in those areas but you also need to be proficient in generating good 2D drawings for the people who actually build that stuff - they have no use for solid models.

The skills you already have in Solidworks and Alias are more sought after on the Consumer Product side of ID.

I don’t n know much about form z but i am using AUTOCAD about 3 years now and i am sutisfied.The only problem is that it is uncomunicative in materials.That means that it’s material library is poor!