AUDI new design language

I think they’ll have no grilles at all.

Ya just never know. … . :wink:
Porsche accessories.jpg

Having said that, all this overly designed stuff makes it a lot easier to keep my desire for a new car damped down.

It certainly applies to a whole helluva lot more than automobiles.

VW-Audi tried the no grille thing, but it didn’t work.

I actually kinda like this. It’s so rational.

Just because it didn’t work in the past does not mean it won’t work in the future. The old troupe of “we tried that once before, it didn’t work…” Is a personal pet peeve of mine.

I completely agree, despite my earlier post!

I actually find it weird that the electric cars seem to always have huge grilles (or fake huge grilles). If I was a car designer, I would belt out some wild no-grille concepts when I finally got the chance.

The tesla is a good example. While the grille isn’t trying to be a grille, it definitely visually gives us something where we expect it. Maybe this is one of the keys to the tesla being more widely accepted. Over time though if more cars go electric, maybe we will eschew the grille. The Nissan Leaf doesn’t have one, at least not high on the nose. And a lot of the grilles have moved lower.

While the grille isn’t trying to be a grille, it definitely visually gives us something where we expect it.

Oooo, oo o, a skeuopmorph!! And a big one too!

I just watched this video of the designers explaining the concept. I’m not such a fan of those huge grills, but I admit I like the concept and the attention they’ve put into details. Not sure the touch panel is so easy to use, especially having the gear stick in between the panel and the driver.

[vimeo]http://vimeo.com/114012779[/vimeo]

The BMW i3 is a good example too, I think. It keeps the brand language, adapting it to the new needs and differentiating it from the combustion cars.

Slightly off topic, but regarding the BMW: funny how blue seems to have become the colour of environmental cars? The first one I can remember to do this was VW with their blue line (these weren’t electric, but were models with lower consumption). Both Toyota (hybrids) and Nissan (electric) have adopted this colour for details (logos, badges etc) and now also BMW with their i-cars. Any others? Or any other product categories that use this convention? In general green is used to indicate “environmental frienly”.

@jada This kind of blue was also seen in hydrogen cars, I believe. I’d say this electric blue colors connect more with technological and advanced products, rather than ecofriendly. At least, I perceive it that way.

Blue = the Earth, water, open sky, generally accepted by most of the world.
Green = loaded with eco-connotations, secondary color, polarizing.

Heard a great take though: “Green is mother nature’s neutral”.

I believe this may be cultural as well. Please, European posters correct me if I am wrong but I remeber reading somewhere that blue in Europe is more associated with environmental responsibility while in the US it is green. Blue is also a much more universally accepted and optimistic color (blue skies) and so is becoming the dominant convention.

@IDAL I agree, I also associate blue with technology.

I actually mentioned this to our “eco-guy” at work who said he felt there was a change towards blue from green, but in general blue has been associated more with sustainability and technological optimism (as a way to solve the issues with the environment), while green has been associated with a more “back to the natural ways” approach. So it seems even if VW were the first to use blue in this context on cars, they were really just following up on an established convention.

BTW. I am European.

What screams “environmental” more than APEC Blue?

I think green in “green” products triggers cynicism, suspicions of greenwashing, being obvious etc… blue is less obvious that way.
Personally I prefer some shade of brown to convey the “green” message… wood, leather, carton, dirt…

(Northern Europe)

The conversation is going quite off topic, but getting quite interesting as well :smiley:

@Jada I agree with you on the green and brown. Anyway, it also depends on how that color is combined, projects like the Smart E-Scooter rely more on the technological side than the ecological, even when using green, but both aspects are represented.

In my opinion, BMW also followed the same path using blue instead of green for the i8, for example. It depends on the shade of color, electric vs sky blue, for example.

PS. Tesla, by the way, isn’t following any kind of green/blue touches trend, they just make premium cars which happen to be electric.

Blue: I heard that blue was used because governments threatened to legislate how green could be used. It sound ridiculous now, but not that long ago there weren’t any decent electric cars and marketing was trying to say that everything was environmentally friendly, including gigantic 5mpg SUVs.

It might also be that car guys know that green cars are unlucky.

Audi: I watched 1/2 that video with the designer yesterday. I kept wishing that Chris Bangle was there.

Audi: so you are saying that you own gigantic hexagonal grilles? You own fast c-pillars? That’s what you are saying?

… adopted this colour for details (logos, badges etc) and now also BMW with their i-cars.

Interesting observation about the other manufacturers but BMW has been using that blue (Bavaria’s national colors) since 1917.

@Mr-914 - I love that clip. I watch it every now and then when I need cheering up.

Fair enough lmo, but I’m still pretty sure that in this case they choose to use blue (often called electric blue, hadn’t thought about the name until now actually) as an accent colour because the car is electric (and others have used it like this before).

Mercedes had their Bluetec line, which in the US refers only to their efficient Diesel line. (There’s no diesel hybrids available here)
http://i0.auto-bild.de/ir_img/5/8/1/2/3/Bluetec-von-VW-Audi-und-Mercedes-304x202-d2c3a3d135066966.jpg

So here, there’s no blue color, just the blue name. I say it leans more toward clean/efficiency instead of renewable/earth-friendly, etc.