Associate vs. Bachelor Degree

I am currently looking for a industrial design school. I am also looking through the job postings and noticing that most employers cite “Industrial Design degree”. Do most specifically mean a Bachelors degree or is an Associates satisfactory? I know this is a vague and general question that also depends on my portfolio and previous training. But in general, do employers consider Associates degrees vs. Bachelors degrees?

In general, this is most definitely a reference to a Bachelors in ID degree (or to an unrelated Bachelors plus an MFA). If an employer is looking for someone with an Associates degree, they will explicitly say so, since the Bachelors is the accepted industry standard.

then what good is a AA?

an AA is a waste of your time and money unless you wanna be something like say, a secretary or “administrative assistant” somewhere.

From what I’ve seen of a few Associates programs, they are taught in trade schools and produce model-makers.
Things like: reading a print, enough CAD to stich a model or run toolpaths and traditional machine tool use.
Not the best career path, this is going to be increasingly outsourced…

so will the employer ask hey let me see the diploma?

could one start with a AA then if not finding work, go back an get the BFA? you would only need two years are so. I dont understand why some schools even have the AA? then if it is no good?

No they won’t but, the design world is small, and they will ask where you went to school… it will come out if you try to fake it.

A lot of AA grads became “comercial Artists”, making props for the movie or broadway play industry, model makers, basically making things from other people’s designs. It’s not worthless, its a different type of job.

Anything is possible, and if you think you have the drive and ability to make it happen with an AA, give it a try. Most 4 year schools will most likely not transfer all of the credits if you do go back.

I went to an AA school first time around. I found a design job prior to graduation with a housewares company. But I was the exception. Most of my classmates work as modelmakers and the like, or not at all. Only having an AA definitely would make it a lot harder to find work as a designer as opposed to a modelmaker, etc. The place I started out was a fine first gig, but I had always planned on continuing my education. I used AA as a stepping stone. If you want to be a designer, get the BA. But as always, school is largely what you make of it.

then why does AAU have the AA degree on all of there programs? are they just another way to suck up money. if you can not get a design job with a AA. do you even need a AA to be a modeler? could you just take some shop an bam your a modeler![/i]