Art Institute's ID program in Seattle?

Hello everyone, just found this site, and so far I really am enjoying it. I’ve been going through all the school board because I will be a senior next year, and that means college is coming up. I know for a fact I want to do ID, but I need to be in state. I was reading on a different site that the Art Institute was a good school, but I couldn’t find anything about its ID program. I found that the AI in Seattle has ID, so I just want to ask if anyones been there or knows something about it. If its not a good school, does anyone have a different school in the states that I could attend, seeing as I don’t have enough money for being an international student…

Thanks!
Jake.

I’m paying about 1/3 the cost in international tuition in Vancouver (about $12k/year) vs a typical US tuition ($32k/year minimum).

There’s 2 other ID schools around Seattle: University of Washington Seattle Campus and I heard there’s another one that just started an ID program last year. Should be in IDSA site somewhere?? Personally I’d go through one of these colleges before a franchise like AI; they’ll have a bigger budget for better workshops and more fun tools you have access to, like CNC machines, etc.

The other ID program is at Western Washington University in Bellingham.
http://www.wwu.edu/id/

I didn’t realize that the Art Institute offered ID in Seattle - interesting…both a degree and a diploma program.

oh I didn’t realize WWU offered ID either, I originally lived in Bellingham from 1st grade through 10th, I just recently moved to Arizona and wanted to go back to Washington or thereabouts for college, does anyone know if the WWU ID program is any good? Thanks for you replies :slight_smile:

Hi, I’m a senior in WWU’s ID program. We actually have a rather decent program here. We are a BS degree rather than a BA like most schools…aka, the students get to learn a bit about engineering too (everyone gets to actually run injection molding machines, rotomolders and actually work with other non-design students.) There are 3 profs (it would be nice to have more) but the class is cut down to 12 students after sophomore year (can get kinda stressful.) Small class size, friendly studios, 24hr access studios and shop, and a heavy workload.

You can check out some of our portfolios -
Ben Peterson - http://www.coroflot.com/benpeterson
Phelan Miller (me) - http://www.coroflot.com/phelan
Allen Tsai - http://www.allentsai-design.com/

Hope I helped
-Phelan

Thank you very much, you have helped me, the only thing I’m worried about right now is the Tuition, seeing as I won’t be able to move to Washington and stay there for a year, I’ll have to be an out of state student = more money :frowning: But I’m definitely thinking WWU is where I want to go.

Where ever you choose just keep in mind that you only get what you take from school. Students from AI’s I think expect to just show up and be master designers but you have to work for it It doesn’t mean AI seattle or Art Center. Use your professors, older students, other majors anything you can. Having said that, I would try to go with a school that costs less than AI or at least take your general ed. classes at a junior college and transfer them over otherwise you will be paying premium design school prices for crappy english and math classes they offer. Bottom line, you have to set you level of expectations for yourself high and hold yourself to them.

Where ever you choose just keep in mind that you only get what you take from school. Students from AI’s I think expect to just show up and be master designers but you have to work for it It doesn’t mean AI seattle or Art Center. Use your professors, older students, other majors anything you can. Having said that, I would try to go with a school that costs less than AI or at least take your general ed. classes at a junior college and transfer them over otherwise you will be paying premium design school prices for crappy english and math classes they offer. Bottom line, you have to set you level of expectations for yourself high and hold yourself to them.