Art Institute - A waste?

I’ve been going to the Art Institute of Colorado for a year now studying ID. I already have a degree in Engineering from a prestigious school, but after a few years of work decided that it wasn’t what I wanted to spend my life doing. I’ve learned a lot so far, but I’m concerned that I’m wasting my money on a degree that won’t get me anywhere. Is a degree from AI going to hold me back, or is my portfolio all that employers will look at? Should I take what I’ve learned from AI and develop a portfolio to get into a better school?

IMO, if your learning a lot, and growing, that’s all that matters. As for employment, your portfolio and your attitude get you the JOB not the school you attended.

You’re education is what you make of it. It’s just that simple.

I know many people in many professions who went to schools that were considered “less than stellar”, but they worked hard and paid their dues and are now in VERY nice jobs.

I also know people who went to “prestigous” schools, but were lazy and to be frank, idiots. They have the piece of paper, but thats about it.

Just work your arse off and make contacts. You’ll do just fine.

Is your school accredited? Somehow I don’t think it is. That’s really the big potential red flag on your resume.

It’s listed as ‘under evaluation’ at IDSA’s website, but has been in that status since I began there over a year ago. It seems that most people feel that a portfolio is much more important than the school name, so I think I’ll push on through and just try and make up for any weak areas with studies on my own time. Thanks for the feedback everyone.

Is your school accredited? Somehow I don’t think it is. That’s really the big potential red flag on your resume.

OMG!! my school wasn’t accredited??? :open_mouth:

I hope my boss doesn’t find out :laughing: :laughing:

It seems that most people feel that a portfolio is much more important than the school name, so I think I’ll push on through and just try and make up for any weak areas with studies on my own time.

yes, stick with it!!

good portfolio + no accredidation = employment

Accredited school + no talent = broke

[quote=“copyboy”][quote]Is your school accredited? Somehow I don’t think it is. That’s really the big potential red flag on your resume.
[/quote]

OMG!! my school wasn’t accredited??? :open_mouth:

I hope my boss doesn’t find out :laughing: :laughing:

That is funny!

My Alma matter is accredited. School was great when I went there…now, it is not as strong.

ac·cred·i·ta·tion:

The act of accrediting or the state of being accredited, especially the granting of approval to an institution of learning by an official review board after the school has met specific requirements.

the last line is important “has met specific requirements”.

if having a “good portfolio” guarantees you employment then you might as well get your degree from the inside of a cracker jax box or from one of those places on tv that plays commercials in the middle of the afternoon.

earaserhead,

Which accredidation body is better? ACICS, NASAD, or the State the school is in?

tjr -
I feel your pain! I was the 2nd group to graduate ('93)in that program. As far as I know I’m the only one in my class that is actually designing. I was very lucky to find a company that took me under their wing. Unfortunatlly I started @ 10hr. that was fine for the time being. Now I have been in this field for 12yrs and i’m still at less than 40kyr. This sucks! I have designed award winning products. So I know the talent is there. 3yrs ago, after the big tech crunch I was in a bind. in over 200 resume’s I had 2 responces. both thanks but no thanks. I don’t know if it was the school or the market but I am not thrilled. to put out that kind of cash and be bringing up the rear yrs later. The only thing that I know is portfolio and experiance doesn’t mean squat.
The one thing that you do have on your side is the ENG Degree. That right there WILL be in your favor!

tjr -
I feel your pain! I was the 2nd group to graduate ('93)in that program. As far as I know I’m the only one in my class that is actually designing. I was very lucky to find a company that took me under their wing. Unfortunatlly I started @ 10hr. that was fine for the time being. Now I have been in this field for 12yrs and i’m still at less than 40kyr. This sucks! I have designed award winning products. So I know the talent is there. 3yrs ago, after the big tech crunch I was in a bind. in over 200 resume’s I had 2 responces. both thanks but no thanks. I don’t know if it was the school or the market but I am not thrilled. to put out that kind of cash and be bringing up the rear yrs later. The only thing that I know is portfolio and experiance doesn’t mean squat.
The one thing that you do have on your side is the ENG Degree. That right there WILL be in your favor!

you missed NAAB.

hmm “state the school is in” can’t honestly say but that should be evident when doing the typical in depth research.

ereaser head,

Yes, after adding that one, which one is best? States also accredit schools.

You are correct, accredidation is good. Just hard to tell which one is better. The school in topic here is more than likely accredited by one body. But NASAD, which is IDSA’s choice.

The only thing that I know is portfolio and experiance doesn’t mean squat.

than you know nothing my freind, portfolio, experiance and attitude mean everything

if having a “good portfolio” guarantees you employment then you might as well get your degree from the inside of a cracker jax box or from one of those places on tv that plays commercials in the middle of the afternoon.

I’m sure there are many people in this industry whom don’t hold a degree, this is proof that portfolio is above school rep. in some/most cases.

copyboy if your spelling is any judge of this topic, then that alone speaks in volumes. lol!

copyboy if your spelling is any judge of this topic, then that alone speaks in volumes. lol!

decent portfolio + horrible grammer = creative professional :laughing: :laughing:

can we get spell check here already?? DAMMIT :angry:

the worst part is I didn’t, and still don’t, see any mis-spellings :cry:

than you know nothing my freind, portfolio, experiance and attitude mean everything

I may have sounded just a little bitter. LOL I guess what I was venting was the lack of responce when I really needed it. I do have a positive attitude in the and about the field. i have had success, no question about it. The biggest problem I’m seeing in the industry is one thing. The over abundence of ID people, or should I say people that think they are designers. i really thought that what came from your creative mind was enough. It really isn’t. It is a 4yr degree from a major university. if you don’t have that you will not even get close enough to the front door to see the door handle. Now that is reality!!! At least for a respectable paying J O B