Art Center not as competetive as before?

the past few years i’ve noticed (in general) that the works produced by art center students are not as up to par as works from years ago… anyone else notice this?

which is the better school in regards to industrial design? accd vs ccs vs risd

I think Art Center is going through alot of changes at the moment that are going to really make for better things to come. I think that the administrators at ACCD are aware of the rumors that their student gallery haven’t been as impressive, which is why they are currently re-structuring the curriculum for some of thier majors, particularly Product Design. Plus, I believe they are currently working on a new Entertainment major which, I believe, is going to rock once it gets up and rolling! As for which school is better, I can’t really say becuase I’m not that famliar with the other schools listed. Living in Southern California, Art Center was the best choice for me! :slight_smile:

@ elchinomariachi

what do you think about san jose state… they have a good ID program too… also in southern cali.

I think for the amount of money it costs to go to Art Center you’d get better return on your investment by going to Law or Medical School.

I think for the amount of money it costs to go to Art Center you’d get better return on your investment by going to Law or Medical School.

Money isn’t the return in this profession, the life style is the return. Not working 90 hrs. a week for some sleezy lawer, or spending all my time around sick or dying people is enough return for me.

Not that you can compare these professions, “different sroke for different folks”

No one is going to consider art school and then say “Na, I’m going to medical school”

My 2 cents

copyboy:

The day you move out of your parents house and start paying the bills you see what a difference it makes making good coin in the workplace.

my 1 loonie

I couldn’t say it any better myself Deez.

I will add this: on top of adding more materialistic useless garbage in a society that thrives off of instant gratification and new is better mentality that will be thrown in some forgotten landfill for a distant generation to behold digging up obsolete ipods, ear buds and mp3 players.

copyboy:

The day you move out of your parents house and start paying the bills you see what a difference it makes making good coin in the workplace.

my 1 loonie

I pay my bills just fine, don’t let the screename fool you :smiley:

That’s some unfair generalizations on two of the most respected professions in the world.

Sorry for the generalizations, that’s where the different stroke for different folks comes in. I’m saying niether of the 2 options is right for me, and given the vast differences, I was ASS-uming not many creative people would drop a creative profession to go be a doctor or a lawyer.

but that’s not true, I’m sure many people settle, more $$$, less happiness with their chosen career.

The point I was trying to put accross and apparently missed was. The return with a creative education is not based on money as My $.02 was implying.

I guess they could say that interpreting and representing the law of our nation and saving your mothers’ lives with medicine and science is better than bickering over color choices,

never really thought of it like that, I’ll have to give this some thought :open_mouth:

It’s so god damn satisfying though while it lasts. It LOOKS sweet. Whether it is the awesome linework and rendering you just did or the new ipod nano you have strapped to your sickly arm and you notice people noticing it.

I love it.

And that’s what I’m talking about…kinda :smiley:

“I pay my bills just fine, don’t let the screename fool you Very Happy”

So would the rest of the world if we still lived under our parents roof. Rolling Eyes

So would the rest of the world if we still lived under our parents roof. Rolling Eyes

sorry to dissapoint but I live alone, in a stuffy 1 bedroon apt.

so I guess I pay my bills AND my rent just fine

could use a roomate though
shoulda been a lawyer I guess :laughing: :laughing:

Didn’t one of Art Centers Students just win the Merit Award for the IDSA Western Region?

bakc to the top question:

I would agree that there has been a change in level of work From Art Center Students but I would hesitate to its "not up to par "; the focus is different.

Firstly the newest president and Administration has a much greater handle on the direction Art Center needs to go in and how to account for teh deisgners mark on the changing landscape of the design world. It doesn’t start with a designer anymore, a designer has become more of a facilitator and assumes many roles. In the same way Art Center’s ID focus is broadening beyond specific ID training. The whole school is also diversifying as well. ID just isn’t sketching, rendering and modelmaking anymore its about a whole lot of other things that don’t always add up to good looking and sexy models.

Secondly there has been a pretty big turnover of instructors in the past ten years. Some of the instructors who have been at Art Center for the last quarter of the 20th century are gone. They were institutions in their own right who had tons of professional experience and had the means and will to implement harsh criticsm and critique to the point of being downright mean in order to motivate. Some of the instructors couldn’t wrap their heads around CAID and rapid prototyping. Other instructors felt that teaching drawing the same old way was prventing new techiques and tools from being implemented. (Which is why Gnomon studios is staffed with exArt Center instructors,…) Other instructors literally retired at 80 or 90 years old after fourty years of teaching there.

Thirdly rapid prototyping has brought on a sea change in the way ID is taught there and everywhere else. Getting instructors who have the ability to combine conceptual design and CAID in a truly balanced fashion is difficult. Most of the instructors have strengths in one or the other and fewer have the enough experience in both to lead a class thru the process in a 14week period with Gallery results.

FWIW the change I’ve seen at ACCD is good. From what I hear and see its adjusting quite well to the changes that have happened in the world of Design in the past few years. Those changes are de-emphasizing the slick models and drawings that have defined Art Center and are emphasizing a more diverse range of problem solving that takes more than just a pretty picture to explain.

No I don’t work there, I’m a grad who has been bitching about how it needed to change.

sorry for the long post

Its so cool when people that arent passionate about design come and rant about how bad a choice it is to be a designer!

Thanks for telling us that there is more money in other fields. I really thought your sarcasm and rude comments are great.

Why do you troll around websites that have content that you disagree with? You should use your spare time towards better applications. You might want to go to school and try to get a job so that you can finally move out of your mothers basement.

My 1 Loonie =

Brian this troll is a famous designer who wear’s pink tinted shades.

Brian?

Two butt buddies giggling through AIM about posting on Core mistakenly posted one’s name?

no Brian is the real name of the Guest

san jose state is just south of san francisco so its more north cal.

the program there was good and over the years (going way back) has graduated accomplished designers whom are at the helm of great places (lunar, newdealdesign, astro, puma, ziba, pentagram, etc.)

but they havent made much noise for the past few years. actually, one could say that theyare in the same boat as ACCD.

both are potentially good schools. I would argue that a decent school can graduate a great designer. the program is important but the innate potential of the student is more so.

I’ve heard art center referred to as a portfolio school - it is like harvard for ID, and will open doors, but to be honest I’m not sure you can teach great design - art center is awesome at getting the students to have sweet portfolios, and that with the name gets them great jobs. But, once you get your first couple of jobs I think your work in the industry is a bigger piece of the pie than where you went to school.