Are you a Mac or Win designer?

Do you use a Mac ?

• yes
  • no

0 voters

just wondering after reading a thread:
a lot of designers are using Pro-E and/or Rhino which are Windows based. Simultaneouosly, many designers also use Adobe ones. So how many of you use Mac and how many on windows ? How much do you spend on peripherals and software ?

no need for CAD really in footwear design. i use a mac.

in a corporate setting ive always used windoze and cursed it. too many bugs, crashing, and wacky virus crap, not to mention a much slower workflow.

i used to be hardcore PC, building my own, but really havent looked back since trying my first imac when my grandma got the original bondi blue one way back (98?).

R

rkuchinsky, thanks for the reply. I am thinking of getting a Mac book pro. But it seems to add up way too much. Like you, I am sick of the viruses. Additionally I have to delete tonnes of spam mails (for men actually, wonder how they could email those stuff to me ?!)

Any ways to cut down the costs on a Mac ? It does seem that mac book pro is the best machine for design work.

if you dont need a laptop, an imac will do it. im guessing a mac book (non pro) should also be fine. i was looking into getting a new mac (im on a 1.5 yr old powerbook now- but want a desktop), and the mac guy said the new imacs are great and fine unless you do video.

cant really find deals on a mac, except used, but its well worth it avoiding the downtime from rebooting and facing the blue screens of death.

R

If you’re thinking about doing any sort of non-Mickey Mouse CAD, you need to be prepared to work in Windows. I have a MacBook Pro and SW and Studiotools run really well through Bootcamp. Personally, there’s nothing I can’t do in Windows that I can in OSX, so I never boot there…Is it me or is this like the 10th time I’ve written this post.

what if you need to do some videos ? Like simple movements on how you would use the concept design. Would iMac be ok ? Which model would you recommend ?

just typed in as a fresh thread…

Apple seems to also sell another software that flips your MacOS to a Windows. I have forgotten the name of the software. (Its not bootcamp though).

I am also a little puzzled how you could do CAD on a Mac ? I always thought CAD is Window based.

Parallels allows you to run a Virtual Machine. A window that essentially has XP or Vista running inside of it. So it allows you to have OSX and Windows running at the same time.

Sain, if I was to run parallels, can I technically say that virus would still reach me through the windows platform ?

Would it advisable to run Mac on Mac and windows or windows with the PC with Windows cut out from the internet ?

Viruses aren’t that much of an issue- if you do get a virus, it will only take over the windows os, and you can just restore it to original state. But you won’t get a virus if you browse the web and do email in os x and strictly use windows for CAD.

You do CAD in windows on the mac- either through parallels or through bootcamp - either way its the same as using it on a pc. Its pretty straightforward and easy to do, we do it at my firm. Rhino is also coming out with a mac native version for Rhino 5 (don’t hold your breath, it will be a while).

I think a macbook would be adequate or an imac. By video rkuchinsky means serious non linear editing. If you are doing little videos here and there, then you’ll be fine. If you do go the mac/parallels route, be sure to buy as much RAM as you can which is more important than going from a macbook to a macbook pro.

If you want to buy a desktop, maybe wait a bit, the interweb is bubbling that new imacs are coming out.

Would it advisable to run Mac on Mac and windows or windows with the PC with Windows cut out from the internet ?

This is going too far! Windows does suck with the virus issues but it is solvable. Download a virus scanner /firewall (Avast offer a free one for domestic use) and hook up a backup drive to your PC and you’ve got yourself a working PC.

As for Mac vs PC: Mac have the cool interface the cool ads the reliability, but what they don’t have solved is the compatibility to PCs. So many firms are forced to have both Macs and PCs so that they can check and convert the data/presentation before it goes out.

In our office we all have PCs because every one of our clients are PC-based and its not worth the hassle running into incompatibility issues.

You also get a much broader range of software and hardware choice for PCs.

Oh, c’mon now. Let’s not get silly. The BSD hasn’t happened for years. XP effectively eliminated that. The idea of full system OS crashes are behind us.

So please… let’s not regurgitate the old arguments that don’t hold water anymore. It sounds as though Cheerygirl is trying to make a serious long term decision and jading it with the emotional Mac vs. PC debate side of it should stay out of it.

Yeah the whole mac vs pc thing is pretty tired. Honestly use whatever you want, now with the windows capability of the mac hardware, its really a personal preference. If you are on a shoestring budget, get a dell and use common sense when it comes to antivirus etc, but you should do that with a mac also. Personally I like the mac laptops design and features better than any pc hardware, so I spend the extra money for it- what os you boot is totally up to you. Both will get their respective “BSD” for whatever reason about .1% of the time, its really a non issue.

I will say any ID person who thinks they can get by without windows is going to have a headache, though its getting better.

If you use the windows side just to check internet, email, core and things like that theres nothing to be worried about. Plus theres nothing a spyware/virus scanner cant pick up.

Not exactly sure about this, but if the virus is a Windows it going to go after certain window documents. How I see it a virus wouldn’t jump into Mac because its programming wouldn’t be compatible wit the Mac OS. So it would just be a useless file.

im a pc guy because macs seem awfully pricey for whats under the hood. That and getting software you can be unobtainable, a hassel, and extremely hard (or impossible) to get FREE online. For me its basically costs. If you research your pc models and brands well, you’ll be just fine. I wish i could use keynote and a few other mac programs tho.

I’m a student so cost and versatility are my main concerns. Oh yea, and reliability. I’ve known many people who have had ibooks(and plenty of ipods) crash multiple times. Expensive repairs, long waits, and Apple store availability.

Pc is user-friendly to me, ive been around it my entire life. I think apple will take over in the near future, or pc will need to adapt (more mac-like) to stay successful-

I’ve had no problems running Solidworks and Rhino on XP via Boot Camp on my MacBook Pro, but prefer to stay in OSX for everything else.

I think if you actually compare the prices of most Apple laptops with those of the main PC suppliers, you will find them almost the same. The only factor you will need to consider is the extra cost of buying a license of XP or Vista and some anit-virus software on top of the Mac.

I was also thinking about working on both Mac and PC at home… like in the work place. And yes it does get complicated when I start to think how to simplify the system. Ironical I think… I like my PC for everything sans the virus. The virus issue is really getting on my nerves. I have installed like 2 Antivirus softwares on the machine and backing up all on a portable hard disk drive, (which actually works as a portable PC if I shift to another workstation) and still get all the crap… which makes me think about getting a Mac…

I had been thinking of the Mac Book Pro until I saw a professor at the local university using only a MacBook / imac. That prompted me to ask around more before making that purchase decision. On the virus front, I am still wondering how that particular spam bot could do those rampant spamming using one of my email addresses. I had thought it was because of me using a windows system as my ISP doesn’t seem to have sort this out, other than telling me to run the usual virus scans etc…

I’ve been looking at the prices and models lately and come to a conclusion that the PC is about the same as the Mac for the same quality. I probably look into getting a Mac just to surf the net and do web designing; and leave all the main core design etc on a PC. Just a preliminary thought here. Actually I do think I get too carried away by the PC virus and spams…

I’ve been looking at the prices and models lately and come to a conclusion that the PC is about the same as the Mac for the same quality. I probably look into getting a Mac just to surf the net and do web designing; and leave all the main core design etc on a PC. Just a preliminary thought here. Actually I do think I get too carried away by the PC virus and spams…