Architecture vs. ID

I just got accepted to Edinburgh University to study ARCHITECTURE, and I was planning to either become an Architect or a Product Designer/ID…

But when I talked to some ppl about it they told me that was stupid…why would you study ARCITECTURE then master in INDUSTRIAL DESIGN.

I was also told by an Architect and someone studying ARCHITECTURE that it’s not at all easy and unless you love it you won’t be able to cope…

So should I panick and start doing clearing??? I was thinking I would try for Loughborough… Is it any good???

Times have changed slightly since I was at Uni however I know a couple of the lecturers from Loughborough and Demonfort both very good uni’s. Loughborough is spending a lot of dosh improving the campus - even though this is aimed more at the sports than design.

You can always do industrial design as an architect, with or without the masters degree. I personally know a lot of architects that are very into furniture design and building custom components to compliment their building designs.

From my own experience working in industrial design and interior architecture is that it is better to be an architect first and an industrial designer second. This is primarily because a lot of architecture firms don’t recognize industrial design as something useful to their business. You might actually be qualified to do a lot of the design related jobs in the office, but because you don’t have “architect” on your resume they will pass you over for jobs. I can’t even tell you how many times I’ve seen that happen.

Now if you really just want to do ID, then skip the architecture part and do ID fulltime. You will get more out your studies.

Yea thanks…

I guess I need to think carefully about all the pros and cons…

I just never knew Architecture was so HARD!

Thanks ALOT