Architecture Student Switching to ID

Hi all! This is my first time posting on the boards here, but I’ve been a reader for awhile now. I’m currently entering my last year in architecture at Virginia Tech (B. Arch. degree) with a minor in industrial design. So far, my experience with product design is a few furniture pieces and an ID summer studio. I come to you guys because I really need your opinions as students and professionals on how to pursue my passion; Industrial Design! I’ve known since first year, really, that I liked ID, but it wasn’t until last year that I realized that this is what I want to do exclusively. However, I have decided to finish out my architecture degree. So my question to you guys is where do I go next? Do I get a Masters in ID? A bachelors (not ideal, but if necessary……)? Proceed into the “real world” and try to get a job in the field? As I understand it it’s hard enough getting a job with a fully fleshed out ID portfolio and a degree, let alone with my credentials. I’ve read through the Design Schools threads here, but would really appreciate some advice on my situation. Sorry about the long post and thanks in advance for any help!

P.S. If it helps here’s a short portfolio. http://filebox.vt.edu/users/mdegen/ShortFolio.pdf

Hi there, my opinion is that what ever you do, if you want to be an ID you will have to study for it. After a few years of university for industrial design I can tell you, architects and Idesigners don’t think alike. If you want to be good at designing products (objects with which people interact with directly) you will need to go through the process of understanding what the’hek ID is and build your own concepts of design, product, user, etc. Good luck with that!

PS, your NY library design looks very much to Testa’s Biblioteca Nacional here in Buenos Aires Archivo:Biblioteca Nacional Buenos Aires.JPG - Wikipedia, la enciclopedia libre . If you didn’t know about it, it must mean you are good! :wink:

ID is a very broad profession. As you understand Arch doesn’t train you for the bulk of work available.
That doesn’t mean there’s no hope - post your portfolio of furniture and ask for feedback, we can be very frank about your potential.
Also consider staying another year after finishing your degree to take ID studios.
Find out how to get the basics in: manufacturing, human factors, marketing, research methods to have a better chance inside and outside furniture design.
Try hard to get an ID internship before you graduate.