Architecture student looking towards ID

Hi all,

I’m a first year at MIT who is pretty interested in ID as a major. Originally, I had applied early decision to Stanford for product design but was rejected. None of the other schools I applied to had ID. So currently, I am starting my Architecture major at MIT. There is no ID program here, so I will continue with at least the 4 years of undergrad in Architecture, then hopefully a Master’s in either Arch or ID.

Right now however, I’ve always been more interested in ID (although that may or may not change in four years). How is the switch from architecture to ID? I am thinking of graduate school, but I don’t know a) where to look and b) how the change is from architecture to ID

And in the meantime during these next four years, how should I keep up my interest in ID? Projects for my school? Side projects?

Any advice, where to look for help, insight, would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

what kind of industrial design are you interested in?
Traditionally, there are fields such as furniture which lends itself very well to architecture. In fact many famous architects are also well known for their furniture design such as Saha Hadid, Le Corbusier, Eero Koivisto or Jean-Marie Massaud.

If that is your direction, then I see now reason why you can’t do projects during your architecture studies alongside your architectural work. It would be very inspiring.
If cars and sneaker are your thing, I would recommend you do an internship.
Design is design and often the same rules apply for architecture and design such as proportion, conceptual thinking, material choice, color and so on. If you are a skilled architect, chances are that you are a skilled designer as well.

Welcome to the boards. I live right down the street from MIT, as done one of the ID professors at Wentworth Institute of Technology. My recommendation would be to set up a visit with Mass Art and Wentworth, just to see what you think, maybe sit in on a class, talk to some students and professors. Shoot me an email to md @ michaelditullo and I’ll send you some of the professor’s emails. They are good guys, I know they would chat with you.

If you are more interested in ID and you are only a first year student, spending more time on what you don’t want to do makes no sense to me. Why did you only apply to one school with ID (and not the best program at that)?

If you are truly more interested in ID, do research on programs and transfer now.

Furniture design sounds interesting, but I think I’m more geared to designing cell phones, sneakers, that sort of thing. I am thinking about internships for the summer and I will see what I am able to come up with.

I think back when I was younger I was pretty interested in Architecture. And I don’t mean to say that I don’t find it interesting at all, it’s just that I happen to find ID also pretty interesting and want to see what other options are available to me. I recall talking to several Architecture professors at MIT before I came and they said what you learn as an undergrad will definitely help you in whatever profession you desire. I like where I am right now so I don’t mean to transfer. I just wanted some ideas of what options are open to me and go from there.

Oh and since you asked about why I didn’t apply to better ID schools, I would say it’s because I didn’t want my options locked in by attending an art school, since I wasn’t sure if I wanted to go into the sciences or humanities instead. Even now I’m still unsure about my future. I had thought hard about applying to RISD but ended up not doing so because of that (though sometimes I envy those who are there and know exactly what they wanted to do in college).

Maybe I might go into ID for graduate school, but who knows. I’ve got another four years to decide, so I’ll take it one step at a time.

Thanks all!

and now your options are locked in by not going to a school with ID… and many ID programs are not at Art Schools, one of the best being at UC.

If you want to do what is typically called “hard” product design (consumer electronics, sneakers and such) then I think an undergraduate program might be for you. Masters programs tend to be more theoretical/research based (in general).

Thanks for the advice Mr. DiTullo! I will see what to do from here and what options are still open now.