Appling to grad school without an ID undergrad

I have a Film and Interior design background, what would I need to have in my portfolio to be accepted into grad schools? Also, what grad schools offer a program that brings you up to speed with the programs used in this field, or do I need to know them already?

this question has come up repeatedly and there’s a lot of advice for people in similar situations.
PRATT would be the obvious choice, but you should consider a 2nd Bachelors too.
Read up and come back with your specific goals for your education and what you want do in industrial design afterwards, and we can be more helpfull.

I’d also like some help in this area. I’ll be graduating in spring 2009 from University of Florida with a Bachelor’s in Design (Architecture.) But know it is ID that I’d really love to do.

First up, should I go to school for my Master’s first, take more time for a second bachelors, or try to intern. It seems like it will be quite hard to get an internship without a degree or schooling in ID.

Next, assuming that I go to school, most likely for my Masters, any recommendations like the last post asked, on schools that will catch you up? Maybe a few, aside from Pratt? I’d be happy doing anything really, but I think I’d like to specialize in either furniture, consumer electronics, or auto.

Overall, just looking for a little guidance in how to get this whole thing started?

the B.Arch wont get you far in either feild, however there are some Arch firms that do Furniture/Lighting design, that might be a good place to start.
I reccomend working for at least a year before going back to school. It will really help you in lots of ways.

Furniture, consumer electronics and Auto are the most competitive to get into, I’d reccomend as much of the best school you can get - with internships. You’ll have to pick one and commit fully during your year of work, building a portfolio that shows just how passionate you are to design.

Thanks. It’s actually just a B. Design, but all the same, I see what your saying. You mention working for a year or so before, does anyone know if it is even an option to try to work, since I have no ID experience?

Also, lets keep the thread going on “best” “to you” schools! And in my case, your opinion on best co-op/internship programs. thanks!

Working for a year has a number of advantages, building up some real-world experience is one, schools take your application more seriously (too many applicants just trying to stay in school) you can save up some cash and possibly most important - establish “in state” residency status.
I don’t know about arch but in ID the first 2-3 years of working are sort of probationary, if you can stay in for 3 years you should have no problem staying in, lots of kids out there serving coffee…

try to get into an arch/interiors firm in the location you’d like to go to school.
work on an ID portfolio to use to apply with next fall.