Application Advice

Hello all. This is my first post.

I just received my bachelors in economics from UC San Diego. I have come to the conclusion that I want to be a designer and have spent the last 3 months learning how to sketch/draw/etc. I am applying to pratt for the fall and wanted to get some portfolio input before I apply. You can find my profile on Coroflot, name: “Omeade Hekmat”. I uploaded some of my first sketches on the site and would appreciate ANY feedback. Also, if anyone has any advice on what things to foucs on in my portfolio please let me know, ie. portfolio composition, substance. Thanks a lot guys, the deadline is coming up and I want to be in the best position possible. Cheers.

here is a link to his portfolio

Hi Omeade,

it’s good that you put your work up and I would encourage you to keep doing this. Right now, there is not that much to look at though. Just flipping through some tutorials on how to clean your sketches up will help you a great deal in the way they are presented. Also, it is pretty obvious that you haven’t really drawn at all before. So it might be a good idea to start with some more fine art based drawing exercises, i.e. still life and buildings to practice perspective. Just for example start with drawing your own hand. It will teach you a lot.
Right now, there is now context to your sketches and I don’t really know what I am looking at.

Good luck and keep posting your work!

Wuddup Omeade,

You mentioned that your deadline is coming up soon, but hopefully you still have some time. I agree with everything that Bepster said except for the part about fine art exercises. I would begin by practicing perspective, A LOT, and doing constructions of objects. Use a ruler if you wish, until you become comfortable with perspective (drawing and visualizing in your head). After that, check out idsketching.com. It’s one of my best friends when it comes to sketching. Also, I recommend these two books:

http://www.amazon.com/Basic-Perspective-Drawing-Visual-Guide/dp/0471472743/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1262819946&sr=8-11

http://www.amazon.com/Sketching-5th-print-Techniques-Designers/dp/9063691718/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1262819982&sr=1-1