anyone here from IIT?

I’m an IIT alum. seeking a career change, considering applying to ID for the M.Des program. Any comments–good or bad–are welcomed.

I’m thinking about applying for the MDes program too. Do you know the application deadline for Spring and Fall 2008? I can’t seem to find this info on their website.

Also, for people who are familar with the MDes program, is it as good as they claim to be?

Effective design methods that work in any field.
Any field? Is there really such a big demand for ID grads?

Increased career value.
Average grad salary is over 30% above the design industry average?

BusinessWeek recently listed ID as one of five top design schools “wooed by a growing number of corporate recruiters in search of today’s hot commodity: innovation”
Is it true or is it an exaggeration?

[quote=“digdug”]I’m thinking about applying for the MDes program too. Do you know the application deadline for Spring and Fall 2008? I can’t seem to find this info on their website.

Digdug,

This looks like one of those ‘you say potayto, I say potahto’ things. If you look at the academic calendar:

you will find that the university calls that part of the year Spring term and ID calls it Winter term. Go figure!

As for application deadlines, have a look at the grad.iit.edu website (link below) and check under Institute of Design. Note that the deadlines are different for international students. It’s probably safe to say that these dates are set in Silly Putty…

Overall, it’s a bit confusing, but apparently it’s because there are varying degrees of autonomy among the different centers, colleges, institutes, and schools that make up IIT, giving it a “piecemeal, easy feeling”. For example, I was told I will have to have my IIT transcripts sent to ID, because ID doesn’t necessarily have access to them…

Thanks hikaru1. That application deadlines link is what I was looking for. So the Oct 15 deadline for Spring is more like a guideline? Do they have a ‘rolling’ admission system? Does it make any difference to start MDes in Spring or Fall?