Anyone familiar with VaporMg?

Heard it for the first time yesterday, with the release of the Microsoft Surface tablet. Googled and didnt find much.

Ive worked with magnesium before, lighter and stronger than Aluminum, but one problem was rust and discoloring over time.

What is this process and does it get rid of these issues?

when I heard it the first time yesterday, I just thought:

“Wow, the engineer, who called it that, really has a good sense of humor
and some serious balls sitting through Ballmers presentation.”

We’ll see what material and process they will really use. What frightens me
a little is the ability of magnesium sparks to burn. You wouldn’t want to
accidentaly burn your porch by dropping your new surface pc.

mo-i

What frightens me a little is the ability of magnesium sparks to burn.

a couple of stories M-oi.

I live in Pismo Beach, it’s a tourist destination, and the only beach in California that you can actually drive on. A portion of the beach is restricted to pedestrian traffic only and on major holiday weekend (like the upcoming 4th of July) folks flock to the beach and set up their picnic stuff in anticipation of the night’s firework display.

A “traditional” activity in the area is to collect old wooden shipping pallets for a bonfire … not just one, but strung out over the mile or so of beach there may be hundreds. A common additive is old Volkswagen engine blocks… :open_mouth: :confused: :unamused:

Years ago a friend was converting a “weed eater” engine for use in a very large radio-controlled boat he was building; a nine foot long scale model of a WWII American PT-boat. He was mindlessly grinding away with a Dremel tool, seated on a stool in front of his workbench, when his lap ignited … or more correctly the magnesium “dust” that had collected on the top of his jeans ignited. First and second degree burns to the tops of his thighs. It was to say the least, a surprise.

burning Magnesium shavings from CNCed models is a lot of fun too - think dust that sparkles like fireworks when you toss it into a campfire. I used to get it from the studio modelshop when I worked at in CA.

Mg parts for electronics are not that big of a fire danger though, I think the very high heat needed to ignite them keeps the risk down

As far as discoloring, usually they get painted, coated, and/or anodized,which is what it sounds like they are doing

According to Microsoft the casing is created by molding metal and depositing particles that creates a finish similar to a luxury watch. Using magnesium, parts can be molded as thin as .65mm. Much thinner than your typical credit card but lighter and stronger. The end result is a 10.6" tablet that weighs in at 32 ounces.

Especially in connection with overheating batteries, right?

I just hope Microsoft has a watertight solution here, as I won’t beta test it, according to what Lew has posted.
ouch! hope the guy got well, again?

mo-i

I think it was because it was dust that it burned for the dremmel guy… higher surface area, easier to lite

it’s already commonly used in lots of products, including tablets

It was like Trav said. Bob’s lap was covered in grinder dust and there was more “first” degree (redness) burn than “second” (blistering), more flash than heat. He was lucky the conflagration didn’t spread to his face; we all wore beards and long hair back then. He walked kinda slow for a few days until his “sunburn” wore off.

Since we’re kinda off track anyway, I’ll mention that I had a near-fite in my pants pocket a few weeks ago. I was carrying a 9 volt battery in the same pocket as some coins. You think to yourself, self, what’s the chances of a coin bridging the to two battery terminals long enough to generate any substantial heat … a pretty damned good chance as it turns out. :blush:

Magnesium, common, light, cool.
Thixomolding.

A few years ago I broke a pair of RockShox Mag 20s, so into my brother-in-laws bonfire they went.

It took about 3 hours to light, but the light was pretty intense.

Speaking of batteries, for Easter my daughter was given a Disney Princess chocolate egg that also came with a torch. It wasn’t working so she gave it to me and it felt warm. Long story short the AA battery got so hot it swelled and got stuck in the barrel, then burnt my hand when I managed to knock it out. No idea why.

Long story short the AA battery got so hot it swelled and got stuck in the barrel, then burnt my hand when I managed to knock it out. No idea why.

Damn Jaime! That sounds like a story that should be made long! Talk about a product liability issue!

Turns out there was a product recall on the Disney Princess product, but not due to fire…

See> http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/2007-04-07/news/0704060476_1_easter-baskets-easter-eggs-chocolate-eggs

You don’t have Kinder Surprises in America?

IIRC it’s illegal since they come with toys.

Prohibition on sale or import into the United States
While Kinder eggs have been available in Canada since 1975, the product has never been allowed into the US for several reasons.

The 1938 Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act contains a section highlighting that a confectionary product with a non-nutritive object, partially or totally imbedded within it, cannot be sold within the United States, unless the FDA issues a regulation that the non-nutritive object has functional value.[8] Essentially, the 1938 Act bans “the sale of any candy that has imbedded in it a toy or trinket.” [9] (Products like Cracker Jack that contain inedible toys in the same package are not subject to the ban because the toy is in the box, not in the food.)[citation needed]

It is not clear that Kinder Surprise indeed has an “imbedded” toy.[10] In 2012 the FDA re-issued their import alert stating “The imbedded non-nutritive objects in these confectionary products may pose a public health risk as the consumer may unknowingly choke on the object.” [11]

In 1989, Ferrero sought a regulation through a petition, but it was later withdrawn and no such regulation has been issued.

In 1997, the staff of the CPSC, the Consumer Product Safety Commission, examined and issued a recall for some Kinder Surprise illegally brought into the US with foreign labels. The staff determined that the toys within the eggs had small parts. The staff presumed that Kinder Surprise, being a chocolate product, was intended for children of all ages, including those under three years of age. On this basis, the staff took the position that Kinder Surprise was in violation of the small parts regulation and banned from importation into the US. [12]

However, no statute or regulation of the CPSC specifically addresses this category of products in the US.

It should be noted that wherever marketed and sold throughout the world, Kinder Surprise bears prominent warnings both on the outer and inner packaging advising the consumer that the toy is “not suitable for children under three years, due to the presence of small parts” and that “adult supervision is recommended.” [13]

From 1991 to 1998, at least 4 children around the world have died of choking after swallowing the toy inside the Kinder egg.[14]

On January 10, 2011, it was reported that a Kinder egg was seized from a woman’s car during a random inspection while entering the United States from Canada. She was informed that bringing the egg into the United States could result in a $300 fine.[4] Seizures such as that one, and even the prohibition of the product itself, have been cited on political blogs and web forums as an example of an overzealous application of law and an intrusion upon personal liberty.[15] The rationale against a ban of the product also takes the form that deaths have been too few for it to be considered a serious danger. Additionally, the argument is made that there should be a consistent standard in place, as several worse dangers are not regulated.[16]

source: Kinder Surprise - Wikipedia

it is just a coating nothing else, otherwise a regular chassis being lumped with a catchy pig lipstick name! in other words it is a magnesium color spray for the exterior of the laptop to mimic a more expensive finish.

there is a vapor process where metal can be deposited into a molecular framework but it has nothing to do with this media sleigh of hand.

for comparison i can sell you a nuclear reactor clothes dryer too…all you need to do is hang your wet items on this handy string and place it under direct sunlight…presto nuclear energy will vaporize and dry your garments…eventually!!!

Magnesium needs to have a lot more surface area to burn than a cast object. Most metals burn. Go take steel wool into your back yard and ignite it with a lighter. The space shuttles’ solid rocket motors burned aluminum.