Anybody using Form Z?

Being in my industry, Form Z is has become a pretty standard modelling and rendering package. We don’t get into form that are very complex, mosty die-cut panels, extrusions, vac-forms, etc. Alias is frankly overkill for what we do, and thats fine. I never understood alias anyway so it all works out.

Is anyone else using Form Z? Does anyone know of a decent resource for tips, textures, maybe downloads fo stock models etc. that are available in a form Z compatible format? I see tons of sites that support those of you using 3DS Max, but it seems as though I’m all alone here on the Form Z island.

My school chose form-Z as their surface modeling platform. I was never really impressed with form-z. What version are you using? As for downloads you can check out their site, the manual book has a CR-ROM in the back which contain some extra surfaces, but other than that your guess is as good as mine? Sorry I can’t help you out.

I’ve been using form z for almost ten years now. it’s a great application, and is only getting better, your right about alias for most of us alias is overkill. as far as models, with the latest version I’ve had great luck importing 3ds files into formz and it now allows that on the mac version as well. formz models are had to come by. someone should start a sight that would collect formz models and allow free downloads like 3d cafe does. hmmmmm

Can you import a 3DS file into FormZ directly or does one have to first make it a dxf or something?

I like using Form Z and I agree that with each new release, it gets better to use. My big probl;em has been that I’ve never worked anywhere that had another person using any kind of 3D design software and as such didn’t have anybody around to learn from. I’ve always been left to my own devices and I’m ready to kick it up to the next level.

I currently am running version 5.5 on a PC.

Can you import a 3DS file into FormZ directly or does one have to first make it a dxf or something?

I like using Form Z and I agree that with each new release, it gets better to use. My big probl;em has been that I’ve never worked anywhere that had another person using any kind of 3D design software and as such didn’t have anybody around to learn from. I’ve always been left to my own devices and I’m ready to kick it up to the next level.

I currently am running version 5.5 on a PC.

3DS files will work just fine, don’t even bother with trying to make it a dxf (a big waste of time) As for kicking it up a notch, try getting some of the book seen at the formz web site, some of the newer ones do a great job of showing some of the finer spline and surface modeling features that are now a part of formz.

My former employer used FormZ because it was apparently the standard app for the POP, exhibit, and retail design scene. But after a while we found that it was just too tedious to use on some of our more complex renderings and the quality wasn’t that great in relation to the rendering times.

During my last year at the company we dumped FormZ and switched to 3D Studio for final assembly and rendering using models make in AutoCAD. it made it very easy to wblock out new furniture parts and get them into the rendering scenes. Mapping materials is also WAY easier in 3D Studio. When I used FormZ i always felt like the images were fighting me, in 3D Studio I just hit mapscaler or UVW map and my work is done.

We also started using Vray as our 3D Studio rendering engine and the results blew FormZ out of the universe.

Maybe they’ve improved on the latest version but it always seemed like it was fighting me where 3D Studio was making my life easier.

That’s interesting. I know quite a few of my college buddies who also design in the POP / Exhibit field have moved to 3D Studio and they LOVE it compared to Form Z. From what I’ve seen of their work, it certainly does look capable of producing better results, but for now, I’m still getting used to 3D and I think for someone at my level, Form Z is a nice “training wheels” package.

One of my friends actually builds his stuff in Solidworks, then imports into 3DS for rendering. I did about two days of Solidworks tutorial excersizes and if I never have to touch that wretched program again, it’ll be too soon.