Anybody could give me some advices?

Hi :slight_smile: Eveybody.

It’s been 2 weeks since i realised that now when i’m designing shoes i’m most of the time influenced by an existing shoe on the market today. Consequently, all my new design look “DejaVu”. I dont now if it’s because i look and learn so much on existing shoes these days but it really does influence my design decisions when i’m sketching.
Today i decided to design an Adidas Basketball shoe, it turned out the same way…I dont know?
Here is one of the sketches i decided to go for, Let me know if it looks like it has been done before and any advices will really help.

I’m not a shoe designer, but one approach for any design effort is to look outside of the industry topic/industry in question. Look for influences from consumer electronics or automotive design (the obvious), maybe architecture (may influence new structure), even package goods companies (think about packaging a ‘foot’!).

The addidas shoe inspired by Audi TT is an example.
http://www.audiworld.com/news/00/kobe/content.shtml

I think there have also been iPhone inspired shoe concepts on core too.

Asking questions like, ‘what makes this a basketball show?’ (just hi-top?), ‘what makes it Adidas?’ (three stripes?), can only help move perspective beyond ‘applied design’. The deeper you go to understanding a shoe’s function, a Brands attributes, user desires, and the influence of current trends should help inspire you, and lead to inspiring work.

Good Luck!

I’ve notice your same observation of yourself. Alot of the shoes you have posted on here look very good, but almost all of your shoes have a very similiar shape, and style. All your shoes have been basketball shoes also. One thing you could do is design different types of shoes. Try doing a lifestyle shoe(ex. Puma), or a running shoe, or cleat. I notice the same problem with myself. I was comfortable with bball shoes but moving into another category should challenge you more.

As far as your “dejavu” look, I think your focusing more on making a shoe look pretty, than making a better performing shoe. Different performance technologies gives different looks to shoes. A Foamposite shoe looks completely different than a Shox, or Nike Free. I almost guarantee if you allow your form to follow a function, your shoes should start to look different.

Take a shoe that you like and try to see what they are trying to do with that shoe, then try to push it further. Try to take that direction, and see what they could be doing with that direction in 5-10 years. Thats what I’m trying to do with my adidas shoe. Nike Shox and adidas Bounce shoes try to improve energy return with their shock cushioning setups, so I took that idea and tried to run with it. I don’t know if it will work, but it may lend itself to different ideas that could work and it kinda looks different than shoes that are out now. Sorry for the rant but we designer need to stick together and help each other out. :laughing:

Hello Karabo

U can bless the moment u did this observation over your work…U are maturing your approach to footwear and design in general.

U had to go through this learning process of “redrawing”, modifying a bit what has been produced so far.

every start needs a base, an education, a laps of time given to understand how things are made.

Core 77 is a fantastic website, what if you spend more time by going through the different articles featuring an object/idea that gives u an emotion

it can be a chair, a building, a mobile phone, a piece of furniture…

please learn why these objects have been made, what is the story be, try to understand the sens given by the designers, etc…

then try to give a sens to what you are drawing
ask yourself what are the benefits of your projects.

in short go where the footwear hasn’t been, not where you suppose its going to.

this is the difference between being a trend setter or a follower.

being a trend setter might also have a strong impact with your interviews.

and make your dream come true.

think more!!!

The fact that you are thinking this puts you on the path to solving your situation.

Something that works for me is I try not to design shoes. I try to design prosthetics that give you more cushioning, protection from the elements, competitive advantage, solutions to particular problems. Think of it as a device… it will become a shoe in time.

Keep working through it. Your skills are killer, add the thought process to be truly dangerous.

Hi guys and thank you all for the advices.

I just made a list from your advices, and i realised that all these thoughts really never crossed my mind when i was sketching shoe. :frowning:

1.“packaging a ‘foot’!”

2.“the foot is something that needs to be protected”

3.“what makes this a basketball shoe?’ (just hi-top?)”

4.“Different performance technologies gives different looks to shoes”

5.“allow your form to follow a function”

6.“ask yourself what are the benefits of your projects”

7.“go where the footwear hasn’t been, not where you suppose its going to”

8.“Think of it as a device… it will become a shoe in time”

9.“Look for influences from consumer electronics or automotive design (the obvious), maybe architecture (may influence new structure)”

some great advice in here! i can’t really say that i have thought of the work i have seen of yours as derivative. as long as one continues to push to create their vision of product & evolve ideas that push the status quo, the rest will takes care of itself…

JungleBrodda: “as long as one continues to push to create their vision of product & evolve ideas that push the status quo, the rest will takes care of itself…”

That’s true, It’s all about expressing your vision. I think working in a company gives designers much more in terms of ideas and expression because they are exposed to new materials that could give them inspirations for a products. As a student, you just have to imagine and guess what could be the future. :slight_smile: