Any advice for a HS graduating, future ACCD xfer student?

I’ve already discussed this with my parents, and them being completely supportive of what I want to do in my life (ID), they are allowing me to go to an art school. I currently live in San Diego, CA and would really not like to go to school much further than Los Angeles. ACCD has been a school I’ve been interested for a couple of years now.

I’ve been designing since I was 11 (I’m 18 now), and all of my elective courses in high school have been involved with the arts: Art History, Studio Art, Graphics Communications, Design in Mixed Media, and Computer Science & Design to name a few. Although I don’t have much of a background in the ID field, many of my extra-curricular activities consist of website design, printwork, video editing, and fashion design…So I do have a preliminary sense of what it’s like to work with clients and I do have an artistic background. I also have several years of experience working with computer applications like Photoshop, Illustrator, Premiere, 3DSMax, etc. if that information helps any.

All these years I was trying to be ‘realistic’ and aim for four-year universities…even got accepted to a few in this last year of my high school education, I realized that it’s just not for me, especially with the art field/environment I want to work in. I feel that I might as well work with the best that’s in my range, and I’m very happy to be given the opportunity to get there.

That said, I’ll just get to the point; I’ll be graduating in June, and the following 2005-2006 school year, I plan to go to a community college. I’m completely aware of the courses that can be transferred…And most of these are all general education courses that I can complete in 2 quarters. I have plenty of time to take any other classes–although the credits are not transferrable–that could help me out on a personal/artistic level. Also throughout the year, I’ll be developing a portfolio more situated in PD/ID. By summer 2006, I plan on moving out and actually launch my education at ACCD.

I will also be applying to Otis under PD as backup.

Now for the questions:

1. Bluntly put, is my plan a good idea?
  2. For the ‘extra’ community college courses I can take, what is suggested?
  3. Are there any other good PD/ID schools in southern California that I should consider?
  4. For those of you who have attended a private art institution, what are the financial aid benefits that you have received and looked into?
  5. Any additional advice and questions?

Much thanks to all of you who took the time to read this. It’s really important that I receive as much advice/criticism I can get to better prepare myself.

go to Pasadena City College. A good feeder school for art center and it offers many product/industrial design classes to help you develop a portfolio. also take a few art center at night classes. These will all help you get your skills up to ACCD standard before you start. Many students have gone this route and do well.
good luck!

you can take a look at Longbeach.

forget transferring credits to ACCD. i don’t think they will transfer many credits

you might also look at calarts-------------not for ID, still creative though.