Another VISA question

Does H visa allow me to work and study at the same time? Eg. Work full time for a company and take classes as a part time student to pursue a masters degree.

If not, is there any kind of VISA that allows me to do so?

yes it allows you to go to school at the same time, but will not allow you to get a job somewhere else. H visas usually have about a 3-year span and allows you to renew twice, then you can apply for a greencard.

i’ve known a lot of animators who were recruited by bigtime studios here via H1-B. some of them went to school while working.

hope this helps :slight_smile:

Cool, exactly what I hope for. Now I just need to get a visa…

A friend of mine is a full time student but she doesn’t have a student visa. She does have a work visa. She claims you can’t get both at the same time. I know that she needs to earn a certain amount of money to keep her work visa.

where are you based at now, MC, if you don’t mind me asking?

Oh I’m a student in the US. I just want to plan ahead.

Could you find out more from her?

I plan to get a full time job( if I do), and take masters at the same time as part time student.

thanks to all of you btw!!

Hi M_C,

I have previously been on an H-1B visa and pursued further study while on the visa so yes it is possible to do so. At the time, my employer actually covered the cost of furthering my education so long as it was of use to the company eg. a Masters or even an MBA would have been viewed as beneficial. (Unrelated education was potentially at your own expense.)

BTW, as soon as you hit the shore with a work visa, if you have any intention of staying, start your Greencard application. It takes anywhere from approximately 3 to 5 years and a decent lawyer (cost roughly US$2500). I highly recommend not trying to do the documentation for the Greencard on your own. Just not worth risking a rejected application…it will come back to bite you. (That counts double for the H visa.)

Also, know that any change in visa status (eg. F-1 to H-1B) has to be made back in your home country so plan on a flight back and more than likely some delays in processing. Mine took an addition 3 months. I was not notified of the duration of the delays just that the application was delayed. (I expect a week or so.)

There are a myriad of sites that can give you further information.

What I have stated has been my personal experience. Hope this helps. :slight_smile:

“Also, know that any change in visa status (eg. F-1 to H-1B) has to be made back in your home country so plan on a flight back and more than likely some delays in processing. Mine took an addition 3 months. I was not notified of the duration of the delays just that the application was delayed. (I expect a week or so.)”

hi blink!

actually, it IS possible to make a change of visa in the states…but yes, it’s less stressful if there’s a lawyer involved, and well worth the money.

:slight_smile:

For some personal reason I cannot afford to leave the states during the change of visa status, so I have to do it here then.

Also, upon graduation, I shall be getting my opt status. within these 12 months, I cannot leave until I have a confirmed employment. If I leave, the only way I can return is a solid proof that I am hired.

[quote=“molested_cow”]For some personal reason I cannot afford to leave the states during the change of visa status, so I have to do it here then.

Also, upon graduation, I shall be getting my opt status. within these 12 months, I cannot leave until I have a confirmed employment. If I leave, the only way I can return is a solid proof that I am hired.[/quote]

hi m_c,

once you get a job after you graduate (i assume you are on a student visa, which would allow you 12 months of employment in your field of study–it would be frowned upon if your degree is in ID but you work as, let’s say, a botanist or whatever), you can ask your employer to grant you an H1-B/work visa once your 12 months is up. that, or you can apply for an alien with extraordinary ability visa if your credentials are super awesome.

so yeah, you don’t have to leave to change status. confirm with a lawyer or the international students’ office at your school first though just to make sure.

much luck to you!

Thanks. I think getting the company to sponsor me with a VISA application is the hardest thing.

i’ve met a LOT of folks in the animation industry who have gotten work here in he US, and have been sponsored by US companies. fox, dreamworks, disney, etc…have done it. i’m not exactly sure about ID. but i saw your corefolio, and i assume you are from east asia and speak a language other than english…i think that makes you a good candidate :slight_smile:

there will always be a company out there eager to hire someone hard working and with an awesome portfolio AND with a wordly background. i think that’s what would give you an edge.

again, good luck! you’ll find something great!

Thanks very much for your replies. Graduation is about a year and a half away, but the way I plan my semesters, I have to look into it now. The ideal situation is if I get another internship, impress them and get the job confirmation before I even go back to school. That’s “if”…

got to sleep… last week of the semester… crazy.

im in your shoes, except a year ahead. Im doing opt right now (just finished a 2nd internship) and am looking for that fulltime gig. i have a couple of interviews coming up so fingers crossed.

You are able to leave the country while on opt as long as your I-20 is signed within the last 6 months and your visa is still valid (ie travelling as a student pretty much). Im going home for xmas, and after lengthy talks with my international student advisor Im pretty sure i’ll be ok.

BTW, october is the start date for H1B’s, but applications start in April, so make sure you get a sponsor company the april right before graduation. if you dont have an application in by the following october, visas will run out and you will need to wait for next october, makin the process a little more complicated.

I see, so basically I just have to secure a job before graduation.

BTW, from everyone I have gathered from, it really isn’t a smart choice to leave the country while on your opt. The immigration can deny your entry even if you have a visa. Hell the immigration can deny your entry for the slightest reason! So I think you better ask around, from others who had done this before and so on.

Good luck!

I’m kind of curious abou this topic too. I’m from Canada and currently working under a TN1 status. I know I can renew it indefinitely- but heard from somewhere that once you exceed 4 renews the INS people start to reject it. I was also told that once I have my TN1 I should apply for H1B. That will give me 6 more years in the country. So am I suppose to apply for Greencard on my TN? on my H1B? or when I meet and marry an American girl? I’m confused.

hey dulcie,

i just had a chat with a few of the canadian guys here and they seem to think that the ins rejecting tn’s after 4 years was a myth. both have left and returned on more than 5 occasions (still counting) without a glich.

i also asked about applying for a greencard and one of the guys told me that the tn visa is a result of the free trade agreement betweem canada and usa, and so is not considered a “traditional” immigration path so you are not eligible to apply for the greencard. so if you want a greencard, you will more than likely need to obtain an h-1b before starting the process.

(he also mentioned that an h-1b was less hassle as he didn’t have to renew every year. i know h-1b are good for 3 years with a max of 6.)

(he also mentioned that an h-1b was less hassle as he didn’t have to renew every year. i know h-1b are good for 3 years with a max of 6.)

hey blink,

yes, the typical route is usually through an H1-B visa, sponsored by a company. you may renew twice, and then apply for permanent residency.

usually, what some companies do, is that american companies would either recruit folks from other countries or recruit you from within america, if they feel that you meet their qualifications or more and/or they have exhausted american resources.

i am familiar with this situation in the animation fields, but i am not quite sure in ID, though i have met some talented guys from china who were recruited from the mainland to work on sculptures and sets here.

i’ve also met some folks who were in their 12 month stint after graduating and were so talented that the companies wanted them to stay so they were sponsored.

i guess it’s just a matter of finding the companies willing to sponsor you.

much luck folks!

I don’t think that a lot of ID company likes to hire “F1 students” (I can see how some fields are different…
Maybe I am not so telented like most of you are, but during school, I used to had offers after offers for internships from great company. I was A+ student too!
After Graduation, choices were very limited. Finally, I did get a nice ID job that sponsor my VISA . It just wasn’t excactly what I wanted.
Some company( especially big ones) didn’t even reply to me. you just got to be strong and keep the work up!
So, good luck to you!