Another Design FAIL! awarded...

The Pardo was designed as part of Innova 2009, an Argentinian government-backed exhibition designed to showcase that country’s best creative minds. Since creativity was the priority, Lopez was free to design a vehicle for pure fun, unencumbered by having to worry about the practicalities of, say, a daily commute through car-choked streets.

What a ____ing waste of time and money this is. To me, this just shows me why South America isn’t dominating the global stage like the US and Canada do. I know that it might seem really cool though, so let me explain.

In University (Arizona State, class of '02, go Sun Devils!), I participated in a project to make recycled transport that got extra points for not being the most efficient human transport (a bike). My team developed a conventional looking trike with this concepts idea of just pushing the pedals down with both feet. There was another team that developed a four wheeler that used the body’s extension for propulsion, similar to this concepts. Here are the problems:

1. It’s really tiring to push these pedals. Plus, you don’t have a smooth constant delivery of power, that you get from a bike chainwheel. Ouch.

2. When you are laying on your stomach like this, extending your body, it beats the living heck out of your back.

Conclusion: Big FAIL. This thing would put any rider into traction after 2-3 minutes of use and it would just be a royal pain to use. Worse, it’s not even that attractive.

Also when lying in that position how are you able to breath effectivlly? It seems it would put a lot of pressure on your ribcage and stomach area, thats kind of the spot where your lungs and diaphram tend to be, but hey I’m no doctor.

Looks to me like another solution looking for a problem, whats wrong with riding a regular bike?

but it’s a nice hot render though right!?! Check that wood construction! Eco-geek-chic!

FAIL.

Thank God someone brought it up! Mr-914, you read my mind so all I can add is thumbs up :smiley:

Nobody wants to be seen flying round making a humping motion on a recumbent made of planks. Not only is it embarrassing but i imagine crotch splinters probably hurt real bad.

I can’t defend this thing. I agree. FAIL.

A little more back ground: The Core post came from Treehugger, hence the material. Although, all that glue in plywood…is that really environmentally friendly?

Anyways:

Why a cheetah? Says the designer: “Parting with the fascination us human beings have with nature and our eagerness for imitating it, I began to study the cheetah and its habits during hunt. From then on I wanted to know what the cheetah feels on the hunt process and wanted to try to transmit that through my design.”

“My main goal is transmitting and creating sensations,” ads Lopez.

The vehicle is not just an idea. A prototype was created and presented at the before mentioned exhibition, and tested on racing tracks. Take a look at the photos below.

As you may have noticed, Pardo is not an urban vehicle thought to use in the street. So far, Lopez thought of it as a sort of extreme sport.

Though, given the right traffic conditions, who knows if this could be the high speed version of bikes?

My comments: no poop Sherlock…it’s not for use in the street. At least the designer admits that. But an extreme sport? For who, sadomasochists? At least the guy built a prototype, which I can’t find a photo of with a person on it:

Pretty sure a cheetah’s movement is much more graceful than some a-hole humping a plywood trike. If the goal was to give the feel of the hunt, how does this translate to that? Why not some crazy low riding recumbent, that you can actually ride? Or if the designer is really stuck to this concept, why not develop a way to at least allow some kind of cycling motion with your legs.

Sorry for the crassness but, it reminds me of something I’ve seen before…
south_park_it.gif

Fast forward to 3:48 for a pretty sweet non conventional bike.

This website has some great hpv mythbusting:

“A prone bike is one where the rider is laying on his stomach, as opposed to the traditional supine recumbent position where the rider lays on his back. Some success has been had with prone bikes as the position is very good for sprinting. It’s also a good position aerodynamically as you can cram your head and shoulders into a narrower package than your legs and pedals. The position is bad ergonomically though, as the rider has to strain his head backwards, and the cradle required to support the body in that position restricts the lungs. This means that the rider suffers in any long races or rides”

To be fair, the post does say “…creativity was the priority…unencumbered by having to worry about the practicalities…”.
By playing and dreaming you might end up with the Powell Homer, but it’s worth it to learn for your next project.

bahaha nice one, funniest thing i’ve read today.

Been doing a lot of bicycle research lately due to a schoolproject, and i did not really know how I was supposed to react when i saw this on treehugger. Seems like it will be a very tough and static strain for your arms to counter the force from the legs.

On a side not, I like that the pose of the rider is like someone waiting to get fired out of a cannon. (in to the side of truck or SUV)

the mockup model looks unfinished, how does it go with both front wheels pointing opposite of each other, let alone steer? I guess this was more of an exercise than anything; but if you’re going the extra effort to build a full scale prototype, at least make all wheels point straight and put fake steering controls somewhere

Nicanor,

replying to the post re. straightening the wheels… don’t know the mechanics of it exactly, but look at competitive wheelchairs- they have canted (?) wheels. Your comment does make me wonder how they work in conjunction with a tadpole layout.

Perhaps I missed it, but does anyone see how it steers?

Still… ouch.

Riotgeer

hmm, Maybe it’s awarded due the creativity of the unconventional way of doing things right. Probably the uniqueness of the idea, hmm Design … :bulb: Maybe next time it would develop into a more comfortable design as this is just structure, i assume … :slight_smile:

I’m betting that any class like mine, ASU class of '02, would come up with this in a project to make a human-powered vehicle that’s not a bike. Perhaps the award committee should get out more often…

there are a few Prone lying bicycles designs …
it’s probably not for everyone, but i am sure you know someone who routinely sleep in the prone position…
check out the mirror-goggles !

this site covers the main points
http://www.h-zontal.com/pagesgb/avantages.html

first patented design, M. Louis Hubault (France, 1934):

the prone 3, Cool Breeze UK Ltd, 2001:

thanks for the link, it’s quite interesting to learn that some Fiskars prototypes are actually made in wood

more here: Gateway

Where do you put the batteries?