And1 Cornering Mid II

Hey Guys,

Here’s a design I’ve been working on on-and-off for about a month. I hope it’s all pretty self-explanatory…the only things I can think of that should be noted are:
-The shoe is meant to be lightweight and breathable like the first version.
-The strapping system was inspired by JT’s original lacing design for the Cornering I, which was a lace-strap system.

Feedback welcome!

man it is soo crazy that you are, what, like 15? not like nice for a 15 year-old, just plain nice…that being said, i think you could do a lil’ more with the midsole, for a lightweight shoe it looks a bit bulky; might be cool to see a more fittingly unconventional design as well…

Thanks man! I’m actually 14, but it’s pretty much the same thing. I’m glad to hear you think my designs are nice, and not just nice for my age. That has been a concern of mine, that people were judging my designs more on my age than on the actual design. Not to take away anything for anyone here. Everyone’s great and help me out a lot. That’s just something that’s always been in the back of my mind.

Great point about the midsole. I just wanted to do something that would look good with the rest of the shoe so I didn’t take bulkiness into account.

might be cool to see a more fittingly unconventional design as well…

I’m not sure what you mean by this…could you explain?

whoa. you’ve got the crazy ill start at 14! nice work.
what medium are u using to render?
it might be nice to experiment with some prismacolor markers that allow u to get smooth & vibrant color down quickly, and a shadowing effect…

other than that, keep up the good work.

_k

I’m actually already using prismacolor markers…I think I’m using too much pencil to highlight and shadow. That might be what’s making it look a little rough.

ak47celtics: Really nice design, you are really good. i like the strap cover with the big and 1 on it. first page placed in the background. :smiley:

:open_mouth:
At this pace you’ll have you’re own brand by the time you’re 21.

One thing about the design, I’m having trouble figuring out how the upper strapping is adjusted, or is it just fixed?

Great work!

Flight: Thanks dude! That big AND1 is one of my favorite elements as well.

At this pace you’ll have you’re own brand by the time you’re 21.

LOL…That would be sick.

One thing about the design, I’m having trouble figuring out how the upper strapping is adjusted, or is it just fixed?

You pull the straps through the slits on the heel panel, and velcro them to the top of the strap. It’s the same system that’s used on most straps. An example of this would be the medial side of the strap on the Lebron 2:

B~

I was about to ask the same thing.

That being said, do you think a quarter of an inch of strap will hold the foot in securely without coming undone during play under hundreds of pounds of pressure?

I think your lines…mostly where you have repeating lines (i.e. the cutaways in the heel counter, your straps, the cutaways on the tongue-like piece at the ankle and the grooves at the forefoot) look confused. Try to give them some direction. For example- the spaces in between them in most cases would be either 1.Even, 2. ascending in size, 3. descending in size. Also, they may run parallel or appear to be converging. Yours seem to vary and be all over the place…not really in harmony. You can tie these areas of your design together by making it more cohesive, and have these lines telling the same story.

Your mesh inner bootie looks confining and difficult to put on. Is there a slit or opening somewhere?

Are your straps positioned in an ideal place? I think this could be worked out a bit more.

Also, IMHO, I think you could smooth the design out a bit more…maybe lower the outsole and make it sleeker/lighter while keeping the same basic idea. Perhaps you could simplify pieces as well- for example by swooping the heel counter piece forward into the toe. This would also give you an additional mudguard/rand of material where you are going to be pushing off during cuts, rather than just mesh.

Explore some different ideas for the pull tab on your forefoot strap. Kinda looks like a lazy alphaproject “dots” logo right now :wink:

Just some thoughts… Good start though!

-TH

Oh yeah, have you tried using the cool grays on top of colors to get smoother shading in some areas? Give it a shot. Multiple shades of the same tone overlapped can look nice as well (i.e. burnt umber over crimson). Just some tidbits.

the upper is somewhat intricate and i was thinking it might be interesting to see a similarly intricate design for the midsole, though that argument probably could be used for the opposite argument as well…

the lacing does look like it could be inadequate, closing the gap that the straps are spanning might make it more convincing?

TH: Great points dude. There’s nothing really I can say in response since they’re all so right. LOL. I’m working on a new sketch right now.

Oh yeah, have you tried using the cool grays on top of colors to get smoother shading in some areas? Give it a shot. Multiple shades of the same tone overlapped can look nice as well (i.e. burnt umber over crimson). Just some tidbits.

I have tried it…the problem is my scanner is pretty bad and doesn’t seem to pick up those subtle color differences. I’ll give it another shot though.

Anyways, thanks for taking the time to drop all that advice.

Ok, here’s a sketch I did. Obviussly the ankle area needs some work since it has almost no functionality at all, but I was really just trying to explore the forefoot and rand.

dude, that new one is hot.

I’m def feeling the new sketch better as well. Seems like the last one was a little muddy and overwhelming…this direction feels faster and more basketball.

Thanks guys…Maybe I’ll sketch some more and try to bring some more functionality to the ankle, and maybe improve the connection to the Cornering I.

wow, first of all I never knew your age, wow, I’m blown away.
second that latest sketch is so much nicer IMO
The first versions seemed nice enough… for someone else
but I personally would wear this new one.

keep up the good work

Much better! Maybe the cover near the ankle becomes the strap where it gets thinnner and pulls back through a D-ring inset in your heel counter there. Then you can put the “and1” logo on the strap and the design will stay pretty much the same. Great work!

IDiot: Thanks man!

TH: Sounds good to me. I think I might insert an internal lacing system under that cover, just to make sure it all works out.

AK - Your work is heavy! You come back with real detailed drawings so quick! How long do you spend on those sketches?

Would like to see some looser concept sketches. I’ve only just finished my 1st year at ID school but they’re always telling us to sketch what we’re thinking as we go along. Don’t know about anyone else, but whenever I see peoples work I always spend most of my time looking at initial sketch work as opposed to the final design.

Keep it up