And Then Steve Said, ‘Let There Be an iPhone’

Good article in the Times this weekend. Especially timely for me, we are launching a product to the sales force this week. Not nearly as many smoke and mirrors as the iphone launch, but still plenty of behind the scenes work.

I think

was my favourite part.

“Very rarely did I see [Steve Jobs] become completely unglued — it happened, but mostly he just looked at you and very directly said in a very loud and stern voice, ‘You are [expletive] up my company,’ or, ‘If we fail, it will be because of you.’”

Jobs was really an immature, emotional jerk. It’s fair that he’s admired, but senseless that he is idolized.

True.

But I had a boss like that. I suspect most everyone on this forum had a boss like that. I am certainly not condoning it and I don’t follow suit in my managing style. Unfortunately, just is.

I had a boss like that at one firm. He had a heart attack after I left. He was only in his mid-30’s. He survived it. Hope he mellowed.

Steve Jobs was an incredible marketer and driver of his company. That’s about it. The talent was behind and in the products.

Good read.

I was impressed (positively and negatively) on Jobs’s ability to force something into existence. I know everyone was getting paid, but I have a hard time imagining how much I would need to get paid to work for that guy under the conditions that he was demanding. Just the idea that I was part of an anonymous team that was creating something big would not be enough. The “reasonable” filter that I pass my demands to the people that work for and with me has some seriously different settings.

It seems past business and halfway to a cult kind of relationship or at least an abusive relationship.

The fact that the whole intro was semi-staged, the “golden path” is jaw dropping in itself. I can imagine the expletives and badgering and incredible demanding that went on afterwards in getting the product to the state it was at when it delivered.

Finally, the article made clear the difficulties at Apple now. There must be an odd sense of the vacuum and relief.