anatomy of an Industrial design company

What are the different work environments like at a typical Industrial Design company? (for example, what goes on at certain departments like Marketing or Design)
What type of work do most interns start with, and also what are the most labor-intensive areas of industrial design work at a company?

Sorry for all the questions! Hope they aren’t lame…

What are the different work environments like at a typical Industrial Design company? (for example, what goes on at certain departments like Marketing or Design)

These are pretty tough questions to answer as it is VASTLY different at most places. Also the difference of an ID consulting firm to a corporation is huge.

Corporations all wor differently, but where I work marketing and design will travel the globe together to look for inspiration. When they come back marketing will write a brief for design, hopefully consulting design, design will then take the brief and design the product, marketing will pitch the product to all of the sales regions. This works differently in different companies, and of course at a consulting firm, it is totally different.

What type of work do most interns start with, and also what are the most labor-intensive areas of industrial design work at a company?
Also totaly different. Where I started the juniors did a lot of sketching and modelmaking to build there skills, nothing they did reall was good enough to show for like 6 months to a year. Where I work now, designers out of school are expected to jump right in, it’s a bit more sink or swim. Labor intensive, its all hard work. The same is true for the interns.

“Sorry for all the questions! Hope they aren’t lame.”

Not lame, just tough ones.

i am going to simplify here; larger studios in major metro areas can be rigid, high pressure and stressful…smaller firms are more relaxed but the work load can go up and down…(today, busy is a good thing)…marketing = “how do we sell the product to the customer”…design = “how do we design the product for the customer?”…but both work closly with engineering = “how do we make the product?”…in my experience, interns get more projects which are way 'fuzzy front end" of things…getting the prototype built usually means hard/long days for me…