American Designers favorite Design Language (shape, pattern)

About culture influences designers…

Just wondering… do American Designers have some sort of favorite SHAPE or PATTERN when it comes to Industrial Design? ( Or general in design)

For example, when talking about color, we know that American’s most favorite color is Blue, because blue always prepresents ‘dependable,’ ‘loyal’ and ‘steadfast.’ But in China, people’s most favorite color is RED, and when product comes to market, the product with painted in red always successful.

So besides color, does any other aspect matters? Like shape, or pattern?

Any thoughts?

I’m not sure I understand the question.

Sorry for my ambiguous quesion…
For example, when talking about color, we know that American’s most favorite color is Blue, because blue always prepresents ‘dependable,’ ‘loyal’ and ‘steadfast.’ But in China, people’s most favorite color is RED, and when product comes to market, the product with painted in red always successful. So besides color, does any other aspect matters? Like shape, or pattern

I think the question is vague and generalizing. Color choices vary dramatically depending on specific products. I rarely see a blue car, blue house, etc. If you see products to celebrate patriotism then red white and blue is obvious since they’re flag colors, same goes with England and other countries too though. Color trends vary every year, they have marketers and groups to forecast which popular colors will be popular for the coming years. Generalizing color or shape for an entire nation for all product lines isn’t the best market research to pursue IMO.

I have to 100% agree here. To say that a culture or a country has a design style is ludicrous to me. Yes each culture has their quarks and has certian rules that apply to every culture, but design style and trends are changing at least every season if not every year. Design trend are not only national, but also world wide. they are influanced buy economic climate, technology, emotions, etc… How do you pin that to a country. I think your question is more around what are the cultural differances between different countries? This question could be answered in many different ways.

Actually, China’s favorite color is blue too. (37% of Chinese rate Blue as their favorite color, 9% say Red.)

But it’s a good question, and yes, of course different cultures will have their own design vernaculars at any given time.

I’m not aware of any research on the topic, but the obvious place to start would be comparing sales statistics of similar items in different countries and exploring the causalities.