AMD FX 55 or Opteron?

Hi!

Im going to buy a new computer to use mainly for 3D modelling (Alias/Rhino) and cad (AutoCad) but allso for some general photoshop/illustrater work. It will be a multi- processor system. Should I get two top of the line AMD FX 55:S (4000+) or two Opteron (2800+)? -Whats the difference? The FX:s seems to be more powerful…

What kind of chipsets, memory, power, cooling etc?

And then at last… Nvidia or Ati? “ATi FireGL V” Vs “NVIDIA Quadro FX” ?

Thanks!

Daniel

This is what I found on the AMD website and ended up spec’ing a dual Opteron for my next office workstation.

:)ensen.

"The difference between the AMD Athlon™ 64 FX processor and the AMD Opteron™ processor for 1-way servers and workstations?

While both the AMD Athlon™ 64 FX processor and the AMD Opteron™ processor for 1-way servers and workstations feature a 128-bit wide integrated memory controller with registered memory, the AMD Athlon 64 FX processor is designed for gamers and prosumers who need high-performance desktop systems. The AMD Opteron processor for 1-way servers and workstations is designed for businesses that need high-performance server solutions for demanding enterprise applications.

Additionally, the AMD Opteron processor features three HyperTransport links, compared to the one HyperTransport link of the AMD Athlon FX processor. They are also tested to different electrical specifications."

Edit