Amazon updates app icon ... again

Another oopsy or overreaction? :joy:

Seems silly to have the faux tape at all. The logo can stand on its own… also, isn’t their box tape black anyway?

I think you are missing the bigger picture.

I get it, the bigger bigger picture is the entire idea isn’t needed. The controversy would have been avoided if there wasn’t a desire to make this look like a box for no reason.

Controversy seems contrieved to me… the stashe is too high above the lip to resemble AH imo. It’s not even one of the “can’t unsee” things - everytime I look at it I search for the stashe in the negative space. I find it interesting thou that they tweaked the beige and the arrow as well?

I agree with yo, unless amazon has a bunch of different apps and this one is for tracking boxes or whatever. IKEA, for example, have a ton of apps for different purposes and markets, all having their logo as an icon. It’s a nightmare trying to find which one to download when you’re at checkout, and all you want is to see your membership number.

OMG who cares. They could use an image of a puppy on fire and it wouldn’t make a .0001% difference in anything they care about. They aren’t a design company.

Seems a bit harsh, they’re not a “design” company but I would certainly say they are a company that values design (given that they employ thousands of us across ID/UX/Research). Their attention to detail to design in a lot of areas is extremely focused from my viewpoint.

You are right. I kind of thought that came off a bit trollish, and there certainly are many people with designer titles there. I might propose the more elusive term ‘design-driven company’ as something they are not.

Just because they employ many designers and see the value of it to push their goals does not mean they are a design driven company in my opinion.

+1

‘Consumer-data driven company’ is probably more accurate, and a somewhat narrow or targeted view of what consumer voices are most important. I didn’t need to add that last quip though.

I have heard first-hand that its not a place that ‘gets’ industrial design though - not speaking of Lab, but the core company or AWS. Basic concepts like “if you want to have production by this date, you need to be tooling by this date” are not how a tech company’s managers operate. They should use the ugly shopping cart they made as their app icon, that’s more appropriate.

I have several friends that work there. I think data driven would be an accurate description. They tried to recruit me for a design leadership role a few years back but I passed after the first round of interviews. It didn’t seem like it wast the right fit… which is why they said they wanted to hire me, to help bring change, but one person fighting up stream against a mega multi billion dollar enterprise sounds like a bad time.

Related: Jeff Bezos and Amazon: A complicated design legacy

"The Fire Phone illustrated that while Bezos is an open-minded and often instinctual thinker—many designers tell us they genuinely enjoyed working with him—he didn’t turn Amazon into a company that puts design first and places value on the insights and skepticism of designers. "

Ha, was the author reading our thread?

I think that’s a good synopsis. I also interviewed for a UX leadership position as well and my observations having known or interviewed people who have been there for a long time, left, or are recently joining is that it’s still very much a large series of startups. Mature organizations are very focused on those minute process improvements. Redoing the entire website in one go could risk crumbling millions in sales, and I don’t disagree that putting good investments into continuous improvement is a bad approach. Designers do often have a sense of “I can always do it better than the last guy” and having seen the rigor they put into making quantitative not just qualitative improvements is not a bad thing. Personally, I’ve become a big proponent of using quantitative data when making decisions because otherwise you spend too much time arguing subjective elements that have very little in terms of tying a business back to its goals.

The smaller business units not just tied to their core sales, AWS products, robotics, and all the fringe things they try to do I think have a bit more of those freedoms.

For what it’s worth, so many people use Apple as the “Gold standard” for design led, and I still struggle to see any substantial innovation out of them since Steve Jobs died. They are just as guilty as going with incremental improvements on their core product suites, failure to ship things that would be deemed too risky (Steve probably would’ve demanded they ship a head-mounted computer or car by now even if it blew up), and some design decisions like the $1000 Apple Pro monitor stand just show you how designers can get inflated egos and ship beautiful, yet total shit.

I’m obviously much closer to the UX side than the ID side, so it’s interesting to read about Bezos fondling microfiber. I would’ve expected him to be much more detached from what I had heard.

Amazon icon: who gives an eff?

Mike: Love your comments on Apple. +1

The icon works better on iOS because of the square shape, the idea of the package seems to get lost in Android’s round icons.

That is pretty funny/sad.

I’ve pretty much eliminated Amazon as a company that does anything innovating. Especially after announced they were going to put the guy running AWS in charge where Bezos used to sit. Evidently, Amazon (the shopping portion of the business) barely makes any money. Which is understandable since they deliver almost instantly, have huge facilities across the country and globe, and can barely afford to pay their workers a living wage. AWS on the other hand, makes money hand over fist every minute of every day, and will continue to do so until a worthy competitor can come along to take away their marketshare. But given the sheer size of AWS’s reach, that won’t happen soon.

Google lost $5.6B last year trying to catch up in cloud, where they are a distant 3rd place. MS Azure is taking a sizable bite of the market but AWS owns at least half of an ever increasing cloud. A buddy who started there when AWS was a few hundred people says “nobody can out-margin Amazon” - meaning everyone else will go broke trying to beat them on cost. There is loads of org-level, supply chain innovation happening. But as the other tech companies also show, you can make loads of dough in your core business, fund all kinds of innovation in X-Moonshot-Lab stuff for fun/PR/growth potential/check competitors…and still lose due to lack of focus.