Am I too old, where do I study and how can I pay!

Hello,
My situation is, I am a 26 year old british male who plans to return to study ID.
I have studied product design before in the UK but the location and the course just didn’t excite me, so I had to get out and I left.
So, at this moment in time I have a place on a course in London to study ID, However I have just returned from Life in France and it has been a “rush decision” I don’t know too much about the Uni and the course, I do not want to “get it wrong again.”
A few years ago I did a summer course in ID at RISD and although I see mixed reviews here about the place, I loved the vibe of school “an art school” so different from what I had experienced in the UK.
I have had interviews in the states with possitive feed back about my work, however, the cost is so high I thought that was me instantly ruled out, or could I get help?

what i’m asking is,
1- Am I too old to start an ID degree
2- could I study in the states and get financial help, loans ect
3- Do I wait until next year and make sure i go to a school I feel

help ahh

cheers.

Well, I’m starting an ID course (also in London) after 10 years working as a Mech Eng, and I hope you’re not mad.- I’m in my 30s… (you’re only as old as etc)

I’m really excited by what I’m about to do - Mech Eng has palled somewhat recently - if a little uncertain about what I’m going to run up against - Core does a good job of allowing egos to flaunt themselves. Nothing else around that I remotely fancy trying: medicine’s icky (interesting, yes, but I’m reeaaally squeemish) and anything of a financial bias will leave me no option but the glass of whisky and the service revolver…

Could you go back to France if it doesn’t work out?

Snail.

You are young at 26. There are lots of schools in the US like public schools that are 1/3 cheaper than the private schools. You can’t apply for loans in the US but you can for scholarships. You should apply for loans in your country such as government and line of credit from a bank. Good luck. You can also try Canada if that suits you. Much cheaper in terms of tuition and living expenses.

RISD and Art Center are the most expensive schools in the US. I believe RISD’s tuition is higher thrn Yale’s at this point. Insane.

Here are some other schools that are awesome, that go for approx. between $10,ooo-18,ooo US per year.

http://www.cia.edu/academic/undergraduate/industrialdesign/

I don’t know much about UK schools but I’ve heard a few names slung around…

http://www.coventry.ac.uk/cms/jsp/polopoly.jsp?d=127

http://www.huddersfield3d.co.uk/

I would highly recomend doing your homework and researching programs to find a school that fits you. You have already experienced what happens when you don’t, and it seems like you are on a course to repeat history. The choice is go to a school you know nothing about this year, or go to a school that is going to teach you what you need to know to be successful next year.

You are never too old to get on the path to doing something you love, mate!

I beleive the word “mate” is for Australians not English.

Your points are awesome!!!

i was 27 when i went back.

and you probably cant rush finding a U.S. school. the financial aid at private schools, for foreign students too, requires time to get. probably have to start applying end of this year already for Fall 2005.

Hi,
i 've given myself a name this time! thanks for all the feedback.
so, I have decided not to go to Uni this year, I am so ready to do this but I have one chance and I must do it right, So here goes to finding a course in the US or the Uk , only time will tell.
I’ll keep you posted when I choose a school/uni and you guys can pan my choice! :laughing:

oh yeah, what are the chances of work placements in design companys even before I start my degree?
also, what can I do to get me started and “on top” in ID in the next year, this year I plan to live, and sleep design!

cheers,

DT.

I think you have made an excellent choie DT. I have recently graduated from a public school in the states, the tuition was very low and the education I received great.
What I discovered as a returning student in ID was that the name of a school was not as important as the instructors. So when you are looking through all of the Flash web sites and drooling over the expensive and smart looking brochures, note the professors names and contact them directly. Speak to them, if they are excited about the program they are involved with it will show. If you find that you cannot talk directly to any given instructor prior to enrolling you can be sure that they will have little time for you later.
You choose, pay for the name or pay for the education.
Best of luck in your education, B.

I think you have made an excellent choie DT. I have recently graduated from a public school in the states, the tuition was very low and the education I received great.
What I discovered as a returning student in ID was that the name of a school was not as important as the instructors. So when you are looking through all of the Flash web sites and drooling over the expensive and smart looking brochures, note the professors names and contact them directly. Speak to them, if they are excited about the program they are involved with it will show. If you find that you cannot talk directly to any given instructor prior to enrolling you can be sure that they will have little time for you later.
You choose, pay for the name or pay for the education.
Best of luck in your education, B.

DT, first you’re never too old to go back to school. I’m 26 also and I am considering going for an ID Master’s Degree, so don’t sweat it. It’s a good decision to wait until next fall so you can make the right choice.

A few things I didn’t see mentioned here that you might want to consider are the following:

ID can be very broad, from toys, to electronics, to automotive, to environments. What holds your interest the most, look for schools inline with your ID focus.

Are you more artistically inclined BA Industrial Design, or more mechanically inclined BS Industrial Design. There can be quite a big difference between a BA and a BS in the field of ID, research schools that offer either or.

Also, look into whether any UK design programs offer study abroad partnerships with US design programs, this way you get a taste of both and a chance to make US contacts if you’re thinking of moving here.

I didn’t see the College for Creative Studies mentioned but the address is www.ccscad.edu

i’m 29 and trying to go back for master’s in ID! don’t make me feel old

I know a guy who went back for his MS in ID at age 39. I went back at age 42 for graphic design (another BA.) A friend of mine when back to school at age 50 for landscape achitecture.

Colonel Sanders started Kentucky Fried Chicken (popular fast food place here in the U.S.A.) at age 65 ( http://www.kfc.com/about/colonel.htm )

26 and old should be used in the same sentance.

Dt…I came back to finish my ID degree at the age of 26 also. I currently go to Arizona State University in the middle of my Junior year and turn 28 this spring. ASU has a BS degree program and a graduate degree program. Like people mentioned above, you want to start thinking about what you want to design in the ID field. Some schools focus more on automobile design and others furniture or electronics. I suggest you go to this link on the IDSA website listing all of the schools with ID programs.

http://www.idsa.org/webmodules/articles/anmviewer.asp?a=118&z=49

Here is ASU’s website also.

http://www.asu.edu/caed/SOD/html/SODProgram.htm

Good luck!

fyi-

some schools in the us have “rolling admissions” i.e.

Rochester Institute of Technology is on a quarter schedule, and you can start the program in almost any quarter but the summer one.

Thanks everyone for the words of encouragement! I am in a similar situation being 25 and considering going to school for ID. I do have a question if someone has an answer.

Is it better to go back for a BA or BS? Or just go for the Masters? I have a BFA in Art and Design and my occupation allows me quite a bit of technical design work. Is there an advantage of getting a Masters?

Thanks again.
CH.

I believe BS/BA/BFA is more of an accreditation thing for the school, but in general I would assume that a BS has more liberal arts requirements and that a BFA has more out of major studio and art history requirements.

BFA actually requires more credit hours (usually in art/design history.) It doesn’t have the language requirement of the BA and I assume a BS. BS has more math/science requirment.

If you take a look through the other threads, theres some common advice about the Masters in ID.

First: its only career advantage is if you desire to get a tenured teaching position at a University, where a Masters is required. No more benefit in industry than a Bachelors (although its rumored to help when wanting to move into design MGT within a corporation).

Second: it takes less time, 2yrs vs 3-4 depending on the individual. But most programs will require a prequel year to get your skills comparable to a graduating senior in ID before allowing entrance to grad courses.

It boils down to: do you want to have a more skills focus in school or do more research?